Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Degres de Notre Dame's Single (room No. 10)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone familiar with Hotel Degres de Notre Dame's single, room no 10? The hotel describes it as "small". If a Parisienne thinks its small, what is an American going to think?
I thought I had made up my mind to stay at Degres, which is 70 euro including breakfast, but am now rethinking a single at Hotel Jeanne d'Arc, which is 58 euros without breakfast.
Any suggestions?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:47 AM

I don't know the rooms in either hotel, but small can be VERY small, I speak from experience.
Singles in budget hotels can be cell-like, if there is not a large differential, you might want to consider springing for a double room, which will still be small.

In the smallest single room I've ever been in, the length of the room was precisely as long as the single bed, wall to window exactly. The width was the width of the single bed plus at most 4 feet, and that included a cupboard and a couple of shelves.
You could consider it cozy, or claustrophobic, it depends on how tight your budget really is.
Maybe the double at the Jeanne would be a compromise?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:57 AM
ewt

I'm staying in that room at the end of April. If you have that long, I'll let you know then.

I would imagine it will be super tiny, but I'm the only one that will be in there and I will mainly just be sleeping there and showering in the bathroom. The look of the rooms and the location seemed a lot better than Jeanne d'Arc, that's why I picked it. Plus, the review that I read in that old NY Times (?) article made me feel like it was right up my alley.

Maybe I'll regret it, but I think it will be alright.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!
I did check the price of a double at Jeanne d'Arc; it is 70 euros without breakfast, so that is something I will definitely consider.
I'm not leaving until September 14, so would love to hear what you think, ewt, when you get back!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Why don't you just ask them the size of the room? I've no doubt that a room billed as a single in a budget hotel is going to be very small, but it's possible that it's no worse than many singles and they just said that because they knew you weren't French and they've had experiences with Americans not expecting such small rooms.

Any hotel I've asked has told me the size of a room I was inquiring about. YOu don't know if the Jeanne d'Arc is any larger, do you? Their double probably would be, though, for sure.