Hotel Confirmation?

Jan 13th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Bob

Hotel Confirmation?

I am exchanging e-mails with several smaller hotels in Venice for my trip in May. The price seems to be right (~E230.00) for this time of the year, so I would like to make a reservation. All of the hotels ask for the credit card number and expiration date.

I have a question to "fodorites" who done that before:

Do you send your CC number and exp. date via e-mail? This is not in any way secure, and there is a possibility that number may be stolen "en route". Is there another way?

Thank you,

Bob

Jan 13th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Sue

My husband is a computer genius and he has no problem sending his credit card number over the internet. We actually just reserved our hotel in Paris that way. Have a wonderful trip.

Jan 13th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Manny

Bob,
I have given my cc number exp date via email to confirm hotel reservation. Another option is to send it by fax or send two emails breaking up your cc number and exp date. Hope this helps.
Manny

Jan 13th, 2002, 05:46 PM
ruby

We vacationed last summer in Italy, and I made all of reservations via email and also provided credit card information. We had no problem.

Enjoy your trip!

Jan 13th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Marc David Miller

If you have a concern, eitehr call them or fax them. With a calling card the cost per minute is often less than $0.15; even the worst rate won't be more than a dollar or two for a phone call. Tell them in an e-mail you are going to call them with the cc number.

Jan 13th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Wendy

I have been in the internet business for years now and unless they have a secure server built into their website it is NOT safe to email your credit card. I have always requested reservations via email and then faxed my card number and experation. I highly recommend you do it this way!

Jan 13th, 2002, 06:01 PM
lee

My credit card number was used by someone else without my permission and my card wasn't stolen and I did not use it on the internet. We don't know how he got the number. So you take a risk everytime you use your credit card anywhere. I confirmed my reservations with my credit card via email.

Jan 13th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Joe

Bob: I research hotel, airline, auto, etc., online all the time. When I find a satisfactory rate with a provider I want to do business with, I send them a confirming email and ask for a fax number, indicating that I will return credit card information via fax, immediately. Been doing this for years.

While the likelyhood of a problem sending credit card information via email is slim, it does happen and there are some horror stories about criminal organizations that gather information to "take over" an identity and then milk the financial resources of the identity assumed. It is not worth the risk.

Jan 13th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Gig

topping?

Jan 13th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Anne

Regarding Reservations in Italy by Email we have just sent a booking form to a Hotel and a reply came thanking us for confirming the booking and they looked forward to seeing us but they haven't ask for our credit card details. Does this mean we have a confirmed booking.