Hotel choices in Istanbul - down to 2!

Apr 19th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Hotel choices in Istanbul - down to 2!

We are down to the Mavi Ev (Blue House) or the Sarnic Hotel. We wanted good location, and good breakfast buffet with great views. I believe that Mavi Ev has better views -- thus they are a little bit more money. The Sarnic is cheaper, but has supposedly delicious food, and provides one transfer to or from the airport? Hmmm.

Thanks. ccc
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I booked the Sarnic. Never considered the Mavi Ev, because it was more money, and the Sarnic was at the upper limit for me. The Sarnic also offers 1/2 day cooking classes, which appeals to me, and we've booked a class.
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:58 AM
wj1

Susan, were you able to actually book a cooking class at the Sarnic? I wrote to the hotel and she wrote back that she hadn't put together the class schedule for September. Good for you if she was able to confirm a date for you. (And I'm jealous!)
Apr 19th, 2005, 01:29 PM

She didn't confirm a date, but she said that she thought it would be easy enough to get 6 or so people if she knew what date we were interested in. We're going to be there for 4 days at the end of the trip.

Food and Wine magazine featured an article on Turkey in the May issue, and the hotel and cooking classes were mentioned. I had already made my reservation before I read the article, but I would imagine she'll get a few more interested people.
Apr 19th, 2005, 03:40 PM
wj1

Thanks Susan. I'm just hoping it works out. This weekend I went searching for the May issue but it doesn't appear to be out on the newstands yet; I'm guessing that you get a subscription. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks again.
Apr 19th, 2005, 04:32 PM

We really liked the Mavi Ev but the cooking thing sounds interesting !! Susan are you planning a trip to a turkish bath ? CCC if you want to feel relaxed have the full bath experience, I could barely walk I felt so relaxed.
Apr 20th, 2005, 05:30 AM

I bought the May issue last week from a regular newstand, so it's definitely out. Yes, I hope it works out - it sounds like it would be fun.

I would love to go to a Turkish bath. We actually did go to one in Fethiye back in 2000, and I could barely get back to my hotel afterwards, I was so relaxed! I thought that it might be a nice thing to do the day we arrive - after a long flight, it might be just the ticket.
Apr 20th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Do you know of any really good Turkish baths? I would like hubby to do it as well. I want to be pampered -- even if it means paying a little more (tourist prices, I guess).

Any suggestions.

Thanks. ccc
Apr 21st, 2005, 01:50 AM

CCC here is an excerpt from a posting of mine last year...hope it helps
"Fear and trepidation strike Lisa and the girls !! We entered the fairly non descript front door to the Cagaloglu Hammam to be greeted by the genial host surrounded in a cloud of cigarette smoke, the whole thing was pre arranged and Bitsy let the guy know who we were. Andrew and I were led off to our changing room and lisa and the girls into the ladies section. Andrew and I got changed into our towels and were led into the warm room and then into the hot room where we proceeded to sweat profusely, 15 minutes of leaching the impurities out we were then led to the huge slab of marble where my left toe was introduced to my left ear via my right arm pit. Then my arms were lengthened by about 15 centimetres ( I swear my knuckles dragged when I walked after it), every muscle ( and I discovered some I didn't know I had) was treated to the firm hands of my masseuse who looked vaguely like Saddam Hussein. When he had finished I felt like jelly ! We were led to the side and given a scrub down with sandpaper (just joking) and then thoroughly sudsed and rinsed, "all done" saddam said with a smile. I sure was I was relaxed to the point of Jelly, Andrew and I sat there next to a fountain full of warm water just dippering it over ourselves until we felt enough rigitity to stand and be swaddled in a half dozen towels. We then proceeded outside Andrew had a coke and I had an Efes and the world was good !! Loved the experience. Bitsy said she told them to go easy on me (old football injury), if that was easy I would need a pre hammam muscle relaxant if it was hard ! Lisa's experience was similar except that the masseuses were older ladies with HUGE boobs and no tops... oh ...and the place was full of naked blond swedish women. MMMMM mental image "