Reload this Page >

Hotel Bristol In Sorrento

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2001, 04:22 AM
Mark

I have made a reservation at the Bristol Hotel in June 2001. Has anyone stayed there? Comments? Many thanks in advance.

Old May 15th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Geraldine

Hello Mark! We have also made reservations for Bristol Hotel in June 2001.Did you make your booking recently?We are staying in an annex attached to hotel. I would also be interested in any comments. The hotel looks lovely in the brochures - but then they always do. <BR>It seems to be a popular place to book at local travel agents, although we booked our holiday direct with the hotel through information we got on the internet.

Old May 15th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Andrew

Stayed at the Bristol on our honeymoon in '97. It is cetainly a nice hotel with a rooftop pool and patio that overlook the Med. The hotel is a fair distance from the water, up a steep hill. It's easily accessible by car with parking right at the hotel. Sorrento doesn't really have beaches except for man-made concrete peninsulas that you have to pay to get access to. <BR> <BR>At the hotel, the rooms are good but make sure to tell them you want the bed made as a double (ours was two twin beds pushed together, made separately but the spread covered both so when we got into bed there was a hidden barrier between us - not what you want on your honeymoon). Also, beware of chambermaids that arrive without warning very early in the morning (and seem surprised when you're still in bed at 7:30 or 8). <BR> <BR>We found Sorrento itself a bit disaapointing (especially compared to Positano where we spent the two days before), because there's no real beaches and the shops were all very touristy. But we were at the end of a three-week trip and pretty exhausted, so we didn't really make the effort to explore the city and maybe our opinion was jaded somewhat. Still, the Bristol is a good choice when you're there. <BR> <BR>One thing I recall about Sorrento is we ate very well. Especially a restaurant that I think was called La Fenice, which served huge plates of good pasta. <BR> <BR>If you can, I recommend some day trips to Pompeii, Positano and other towns along the coast. Easily reachable by bus, and car is a definite option (that's what we did, but be prepared for some white-knuckle driving). <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Old May 19th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Mark

Andrew: many thanks for your insite/experiences regarding Bristol Hotel and Sorrento. <BR> <BR>Geraldine: thanks for the response. We also booked directly with the hotel but do not know anything about an "annex". Perhaps we may see you in June

Old May 19th, 2001, 11:25 PM
Kay

Mark, <BR>My husband and I stayed there a few years ago as part of a 3 day tour - Rome/Pompeii/Sorrento/Capri/Rome. The tour was very rushed, in hindsight we would have been better doing it on our own, but the Bristol Hotel was wonderful. We loved it. We had a room in the annex with a to-die-for view over the bay and Sorrento. You could reach out and touch the buses as they go by on the main road. I was worried it would be noisy at night but we weren't bothered by noise at all. It's about a half hour easy walk into town. Be very careful when you come out of the hotel and cross the main road, the cars and mopeds really whiz by. The pool and dining room both have the same wonderful view over Sorrento. <BR>The annex is next to the main building, some rooms had no view at all, so make sure you ask for one. We loved Sorrento and can't wait to return. <BR>Kay