Aussies driving in Italy..help

May 15th, 2001, 03:57 AM
Kimerley

Aussies driving in Italy..help

OK, we drive on the normal side of the road in Australia...and we know that we will have a great time driving for 7 days on the wrong side of the road!
Any handy hints for 3 women.
Driving from Sorrento to Perugia and then around Umbria/tuscany..dropping car of at Pisa.
We have our AA big road atlas of Italy..can you buy toll passes?

May 15th, 2001, 04:48 AM
Miriam

Hello,

now I`m interested. What kind of trip are you planning? I saw your post on the American Forum and you`ve asked about a cattle drive...Do you plan a trip around the world? Or is that a different trip?

Miriam

May 15th, 2001, 05:12 AM
brownie

You will have lots of fun ... just remember that round-a-bouts go the other way.

I'm an aussie living in switzerland now (can't wait to go back) and the hardest thing I've had to get used to is the fact that I'm sitting on the other side of my lane! So my car tends to veer to the right as I subconciously try to readjust myself.

My boyfriend's had that same problem too... and unless the road has reflectors, you might not even realise that you're sitting on the lane divider.

May 15th, 2001, 11:50 PM
Kimerley

Miriam, I leave for my 8 week trip to London, Italy and Paris on the 28 May.
The cattle drive question is our next trip! Just need to convince my 2 friends that it looks like fun!
Brownie, thanks for your tips..I drove around Hawaii ok..the round abouts sound like a lot of fun!

May 16th, 2001, 02:22 AM
Ned

Kimberley,
The best advice I ever had about driving on "the wrong side" of the road was simple. When you look outside the drivers side window you should see the middle of the road. If you don't, you are up shit creek!!

Cheers

May 16th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Miriam

Hello,

thanks for you filling me in. I hope you saw that I`ve answered your question on the American board.

Have fun

Miriam

May 16th, 2001, 04:57 AM
dIANE

We're there now. You can pay Autostrada tolls with a credit card. Totally great system.

May 16th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Meredith

Kimerley,

One hint of advice: take more than one road map with you. When we drove through Italy in November, we had a map from AAA, one from the car rental company, and one that we bought in a bookstore at home before we left. We found that when it came to little country roads (especially those in Umbria and Tuscany), each map had varying information. One map would list a shortcut that the others didn't have. Or one would have a small town marked that wasn't on any of the others.

That's not to say that you won't be able to get by a just one map - it's just that having more than one cleared up some confusion for us and increased our options.

Anyway, have a wonderful trip!!

Meredith

May 18th, 2001, 08:15 PM
Kimerley

thanks all..my husband has just arrive back from the US. His saying for driving on the "wrong" side is "tight right, loose left" should be very interesting!!!!

May 18th, 2001, 09:10 PM
Lauren

Hey, Aussies drove me around the Isle of Aran (off the coast of Scotland) last summer. Anyone who could drive on those roads--albeit on your right, but my left (aw, fergitaboutit) side of the road--should not have problems in Italy driving on the right.

May 19th, 2001, 02:25 AM
Billie

Kimerley,

We're just back from two weeks in Italy and we survived!!
After my husband (designated driver) stopped opening the left hand drivers door instead of changing the gears things went a lot smoother! He said the gear changing with the RIGHT not left hand was the hardest thing.
We found it really easy navigating around Italy. Everything is well signed. Only got lost a couple of times and not badly.
We drove from Cinque Terre to Venice in a day thinking it would be a snip at only around 350kms but of course it's not like here (AUS) where travel on the open roads is relatively fast. It took around 8 hours including one stop for lunch at an Autogrill. We had to cut off the A1 and go through Modena to Verona as it was just 3 lane gridlock to Bologna. (This was just two days before Easter)
One word about these Autogrills. Don't be put off them thinking fatty fastfood eats. They have all sorts of yummy Italian stuff including good coffee and the store was like a deli.
we just paid for tolls as we went. No hassle.
Hint: Do use the left lane cautiously. A Ferrari/BMW/Merc that wasn't even in sight when you ventured into that lane will loom up behind you at the speed of light!! But-Italians are great drivers and it's definitely NO where near a chaotic as driving in Asia.

May 20th, 2001, 12:35 AM
Kay

Hi Kimerley,
We're Australians and picked up a car in Milan, drove south to Nice and north to Switzerland, dropping it back in Lyon. We were daunted to start with, having seen how they drive in Rome (aaargh!!) but we were fine. Tolls were quite expensive and parking can be difficult to find. If you want to get anywhere quickly, stick to the autoroutes, the little roads that go through the towns are lovely but dead slow.
Kay