Hotel Bourdonnais (la) in Paris

Mar 24th, 1999, 05:00 PM
peggy

Hotel Bourdonnais (la) in Paris

My husband & I will be visiting in Paris in
May and have reservations at the Hotel
Bourdonnais (la) in the 7th arrondissment. It is very inexpensive ($138.00) for a quad.
room. It's even air-conditioned and has
a restaurant. If you have any information
on this hotel, I'd like to hear about it. Also,
is the location good? Last year when we
visited Paris, we stayed at the Royal St. Michel on Boulevard St. Michel. The location was wonderful - very convenient. The hotel was ok - not much atmosphere but adequate and the people at the hotel were very helpful and pleasant. I love Paris and can't wait to go back.

Mar 24th, 1999, 05:20 PM
Bill Fleites

I've never stayed at this hotel but it is in the rue Cler neighborhood near the Ecole Militaire and les Invalides. This is supposed to be one of the nicer residential parts of Paris, and is highly recommended by Rick Steves. In a previous Paris trip I also stayed in the 5th arrondissment and found it to be a little bit too hectic for my tatse (getting old I guess). I've walked thru the rue Cler neighborhood, and it seemed very peaceful and quiet with nice restaurants. I myself will be staying at the Hotel Muguet which is a highly recommended two star hotel in this area. The Bourdonnais was my second choice, it is a three star hotel and you can look it up at http://www.pariserve.tm.fr/hotel/bourdonnais/index.htm. It looks like a real nice place. Have fun in Paris.

Mar 25th, 1999, 07:40 AM
Louis

I have recommended several times on this forum that people buy Fodor's Rivages "Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris". I have never found it wrong and rely on it. They list the Bourdonnais as a 3 star hotel with 60 rooms and a restaurant with a menu from 240-420F. Breakfast is 35F is about as low as you will find in Paris unless you go to the bakery on rue Cler. This we did often since they squeeze orange juice to order for a modest price. The following is the remarks about the hotel in Fodors.

The hotel fits in very well with the avenue for which it is named both are very descrete and comme il faut. The buildings are beautiful here, with an occassional chic boutique. Outside the Bourdonnais, several shrubs form an elegant hedge beneath the dais of the entrance door, while another hedge shields the lounge windows from the street. The restaurants windows are covered with net curtains, as if to afford privacy for gourmets experiencing delivcate specialites-precisely prepared with the freshest products-with an enchanting aroma of Provence. The hotel itself is functionally decorated with brown-velvet armchairs, antique furniture in the lounge, and very classic, quiet bedrooms. The breafast room is cheerful with it Trompe l'aeil wallpaper brightening the verada that opens onto a small garden planted with ivy and rhododendrons.

These are my comments -- The hotel is a one star Michlen restaurant with rooms. We walked by it often last September since we stayed near there for two weeks. I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you want to try some less expensive places for dinner walk a couple of blocks to rue de l'Exposition. There are several places there where you can bet a fixed price dinner for around 90F. Reservations are recommended at all resaurants and they can be obtained the same day at most.

We both like this general area in Paris and the subway and ATMs are convenient.

Mar 25th, 1999, 09:57 AM
peggy

I appreciate the feedback. I do have Fodor's Hotel Book and have checked the hotel out on a different sites. I guess I just need reassurance. I'm very picky and if the hotel is bad, it'll ruin my whole trip. I did notice that in one of the pictures I saw of the bathroom - the bathtub didn't seem to have a shower curtain. That could be a problem as I wouldn't want to soak the whole bathroom every time I took a shower. Of well, I guess as long as it's clean and the subway is convenient, it'll work out, and also the fact it's air-conditioned is a big plus. Last year we were in Paris in May and it was very hot, so just in case I do want to have air-conditioning. Thanks again, guys.

Mar 25th, 1999, 10:44 AM
Helen

Peggy -- I wonder if you happened to see the topic "Where are the washcloths?," which resurfaced a few weeks back. There was a lot of interest in the shower curtain issue, among other things. (A posting that drew many responses, some of them vituperative. Recommended for entertainment purposes only.)

Sep 14th, 1999, 11:00 AM
Mary

I wonder if you could tell me a little more about the Royal St. Michel, where you stayed last year. I'm going to Paris with my mom (70) and daughter (6) in April, and we chose this one because of the location, location, location, plus we're getting a junior suite in hopes of a fair amount of room. Especially for my mom, Parisian atmosphere is probably secondary to cleanliness and good service. How was your room in terms of size? I was glad to hear that the staff were friendly. Do you speak French? I once did, and plan to brush up before the trip. Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated. Thanks a million, and enjoy your next trip!

Sep 20th, 1999, 05:55 PM
Rob

My wife and I stayed around the corner from Hotel Bourdonnais and had a wonderful time in the 7th arrondisement. We walked by your hotel a number of times and it seemed pleasant, in a great location near attractions but also in an area that has a quiet neighborhood feel. Don't miss dinner one night in your hotel's restaurant. We had dinner there and it turned out to be our second favorite meal in Paris. Le 6 Bosquet was our favorite and is around the corner and up a few blocks from your hotel. You'll be in short walking distance to the Eifel Tower so try going up late at night for shorter lines and a great view of the city lights. A wonderful location - I think you'll be pleased with your choice.