Reload this Page >

Brass rubbing/Magna Carta in Salisbury?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 03:37 PM
ddt

I was wondering if it was still possible to do brass rubbings at the cathedral in Salisbury and if there is a copy of the Magna Carta located in the Charter House next door. I thought I read this someplace - anyone know?

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 04:16 PM
Rene

I was in Salisbury last October. Not sure about the brass rubbings, but Magna Carta is there.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 04:37 PM
Joe

I visited Salisbury in 1980. If I remember correctly, there are four copies of Magna Carta and one is there.

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 06:53 AM
Carl

The Cathedral has a Brass Rubbing Center <BR>but I think it is only open in the summer months till around mid-Sept. We were there in Sept 97 and got a couple of Rubbings that we had framed.

Old Sep 19th, 1999, 06:55 AM
steve

I haven't done brass rubbing in Salsbury, but did do one in Cambridge. Generally, you can't do them at the actual sites, but they have been reproduced in the brass rubbing centers. It is fun and unique. However, it does take a long time. I did a very small one that took a couple of hours. One person who chose to do a life size one was probably there all day.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 07:24 AM
ddt

Why does it take a long time?

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 08:25 AM
Ron

Since the original question about brass rubbing has not been fully answered, here is the answer from the cathedral's web site. <BR>"Can I do a brass rubbing? <BR>There are some brasses available but you need to provide your own equipment. Contact the Vestry for a booking on 01722 555150. The Compleat Artist in Crane Street, just up from the Cathedral normally sells the appropriate equipment ring 01722 335928." <BR>

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 05:55 PM
steve

It just does - it's a process that involves rubbing the chalk (or whatever it is) over and over the rubbing to get the impression done properly