Hotel Between Cannes and Nice

Sep 16th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Between Cannes and Nice

I am beginning to plan my second trip and my husband's first trip to Europe. We just booked the airfare and now it's on to the hotel. Our first two nights will be spent in the French Riviera before we move on to Italy.

We are flying into Nice on Thursday, May 15th. I am aware that this is during the first week of the Cannes Film Festival - I actually planned it this way, so there's no talking me out of it!

No surprise, most of the hotels in Cannes are already booked. There are a couple of options, but the prices are astronomical. I'm thinking about paying the big bucks for Friday night, but I'd still like somewhere more affordable - $250/night range - and preferably on the coast for Thursday night.

So what I'm wondering is, if I don't end up staying in Cannes and I'm wanting to hang out in Cannes for an afternoon and evening, how close to Cannes should I be looking for a hotel? Antibes? Is Nice too far? Any hotel recommendations?

Please be patient with me as I plan this trip. I've done a lot of research so far - both online and on Fodors.com. I just haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, and I know that time is running short to book this room due to the Festival. Thanks for any help you can provide me!
Sep 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Nice is not too far. There is frequent train service and the trip to Cannes takes 30-45 minutes, depending upon the number of stops. If you stay in Antibes, the trip will take 10-15 minutes.

Take a day trip to Cannes. Save youself some money and enjoy at least two nights in the same bed by staying somewhere else.
Sep 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Good point, Tim, and thanks for the advice. Two nights in the same spot before moving on is probably a good idea. I found the Le Meredian Garden Beach in Juan-les-Pins available during that time and it is somewhat affordable. I wanted to steer clear of chain hotels, but will make an exception if necessary. Any advice on this hotel or others?
Sep 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM

Book the Le Meridien ASAP!!!
Sep 17th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

I did book the Le Meridien. Is that a good choice just in general or because there isn't much left?
Sep 18th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

The Le Meridien Nice is also available for about $270/night as opposed the Le Meridien Juan-les-Pins at $370/night. I know Juan-les-Pins is much closer to Cannes but we don't mind a further train ride if Nice is a better location and if the Le Meridien Nice is cheaper/nicer. Ideally, I wanted a more authentic French bed and breakfast type small hotel. Any ideas or advice?
Sep 18th, 2007, 09:42 AM

The Le Meridien in Nice is not, unfortunately, as nice as it used to be--apparently maintenance has slipped. Also, it's become very pricey for the better rooms.

However, right next to the Meridien is the Mercure Promenade des Anglais; rooms there were refurbished about 1-1/2 years ago in bright colors. The rooms facing the sea are great, and the double set of windows keeps out road noise very well. The buffet breakfast is excellent, but there are any number of nearby cafés if you just want a continental breakfast.