hotel bed size and children

Apr 16th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

hotel bed size and children

I'm looking at booking hotels in France. Some 4 & 5 star hotels list that 2 beds are available in the room. The beds are listed as single...I thought I'd read that single beds were actually American standard size. A friend took his children and said a rollaway was all that was needed. I am looking to travel with my husband and 2 children, 11 and 13. Will we all fit? Will the hotel frown on all of us sharing a room?
Apr 16th, 2003, 03:32 PM

I think you'll need to clarify with individual hotels re bed sizes. Although my personal experience is mostly with 2-3 star hotels, it's my understanding that even 4 star places in France configure their rooms in the same way.

"Twin" rooms are quite common - these generally have two single (sometimes referred to as twin) beds. They rarely have room for even one rollaway-type bed, in my experience. Some larger "chain" type hotels may have rooms with two double beds (sometimes called "full-sized" beds; is this what you mean by "standard" size?). These rooms would by necessity be larger and work for more than just two people.

Triple or "quad" rooms are also fairly easy to find, at least in 2-3 star hotels. The hotel obviously expects that these rooms will be used by 3 or 4 people. In higher-end places, you might have to book a suite or two adjoining rooms.

Bonne chance!
Apr 16th, 2003, 06:00 PM
MGB

I agree with Leslie and our experience is mostly with 2 and 3* also. I know we are staying in Villefranche on the riviera and have a room that is actually two bedrooms with a shared bath (and a terrace overlooking the sea) for 4 people. Other places in Chenonceaux asked us if we wanted a quad room or two doubles (we are 2 couples traveling together).
A European double bed is generally smaller than an American double. Other times, some places put 2 twin beds together to make a double. So you are best off asking each hotel what they have.
Emails are great, although it seems the French pay less attention to their web sites. Phone calls are easy most speak english and with calling cards its only about 10 cents a minute.
Have a great trip, Mary Ann
Apr 16th, 2003, 06:06 PM

If they say single bed, I would believe them. That is the same as saying twins, I believe. I don't know what the term American standard size means either, and I'm American. A French double bed (140 cm) is about the same size as an American double bed, if that's what you mean (which is sometimes called "full" size). There are several varities of smaller than double-size beds in France (120 or 100 or 90 cm) and we only have one common one in the US.

I've never seen a French hotel call a bed single and have it mean a double-size bed. I haven't stayed in a 5* hotel, though--maybe some modern large 4* hotels might have two doubles, like the Meridien, but I don't think it's the norm for 4* hotels in France (and I have stayed in 1-2 of those).
Apr 16th, 2003, 06:09 PM

From what I have experienced, a "single" bed ahs been for one person.
We always stress the fact that we want a bed for two people, so whatever they call it we will both fit in it...some times it is two twin beds pushed together, at the D'Angleterre in Paris it is a large bed.
I have never stayed in a room in Europe large enough for three beds.
Apr 16th, 2003, 06:44 PM

My husband, teen-aged son and I shared a room at Champ de Mars in Paris. It had 2 twin beds pushed together and they put a rollaway against the wall opposite the foot of our bed. It was a little tight but quite manageable; we were basically only in the room to sleep, shower and change.
Apr 18th, 2003, 08:33 AM

Generally in France to get a room big enough for 3 or 4 people, you have to book that specifically. A single bed is what I would call a twin bed here (ie, for one person). A double bed is often just two twins pushed together in 2-3 star hotels and sometimes also in 4 star. For travelling with our two boys, we usually book a "family" room or two rooms. A few large chain hotels have what we are accustomed to here in the US with 2 double or queen size beds in one room but very few. On some web sites, they will tell you how many people are allowed in one room--most commonly it is 2 or 3 unless it is a family room, and they are serious about it. Here, I would just make one of the boys sleep on the floor, but in Europe, they won't let you put more than the specified number of people in a room.
Apr 18th, 2003, 08:42 AM

I have been emailing for bookings and always tell them we are 2 adults, 2 girls (ages 11 & 14) and let the hotel decide if we can fit in a room. Sometimes we have resorted to 2 double rooms (2 x $ too). I'm surprised with how small the rooms are. Don't French families and Italian families travel too?
Apr 18th, 2003, 09:44 AM

The 2 x $ thing is why, while we usually stay in very upscale resorts and hotels in US, Canada and Mexico, in Europe, unless I can find a great deal on the internet, we stay in 2 and 3 star. Europeans are apparently accustomed to the rooms being tiny unless otherwise specified.
Apr 21st, 2003, 05:43 PM

I don't know where in France you're staying, but we stayed at the Hotel le Tourville, Paris 7th district, with our teenage children in their top floor junior suite: 2 twin (single) beds and a king size bed--very accommodating, charming, and comfortable, with fully renovated bathroom (stall shower and jacuzzi). I did as another post suggested: told the hotel (via email) our children's ages and asked what would best accommodate us at what price.
Apr 21st, 2003, 06:32 PM

You need to tell the hotel how many people you need beds for - it's that simple. A French bed listed as a "single" is just that - a small bed for one person (I don't know what an "American standard" is either, and I'm American). Most French hotels will not allow you to cram three people into a double room unless you have specifically asked for a third bed (usually rollaway) to be brought to the room, and you will pay a supplement for that. If you can't find a hotel that will offer you that option, you'll need to get a suite or chambres communicantes (two double rooms sharing a single corridor and bathroom).
Apr 21st, 2003, 10:34 PM
mjs

I agree with Rachel and Denise. We have 11 and 13 yo children. We usually stay in three to five star hotels. In Europe, in general, most hotel rooms are for a double and they usually can put a roll away in for a third. Hotel rooms in europe are generally quite small by American standards. You have to ask for a room for four, and these rooms in my experience are not that common. Usually you have to book two adjoining rooms. I would also note that we usually ask for two twin beds as opposed to a single double bed as double beds in Europe, again in general are smaller than what we are used to in the USA. In France we ususally stay at the Citadines apartment /hotels which are modern and have a kitchen, and usually (very important to us as we pack light and usually travel for two to three weeks) a laundry facility. We (actually I) email potential places to stay with our needs and the reply tells us what the possibilities and costs are.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:39 AM

Usually the triple or quadruple rooms are more spaciuos than a double room..When we travel with our grandchild we always ask for a triple room, not a rollaway bed, is more comfortable also for the little one...
Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the feedback. Mjs, which Citadines do you normally stay? I've looked at the Citadines line of hotels and wondered about them being too sterile and impersonal. I would like the flavor of a French hotel. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:42 AM
hdw

At least in Italy, a twin/single bed is skinnier than a twin bed in the US.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:14 PM
mjs

We have recently stayed at the Citadines St Germain twice over the last two years. It was like brand new when we stayed there in 2001. Alittle more worn out when we stayed there in 2002. Would have given it a 10 in 2001, and a 8.5 in 2002 for being clean. It is quite modern with european bathroom and kitchen facilities. Furniture could be described as upgraded IKEA. Just enough room for a family of four although the apartments are small. Safe location with front desk people 24 hours. Have been to France 10 times over the years and I am not sure what a French hotel looks like for I have stayed in all sorts of places. If you mean old, you can count out the Citadines. The Citadines are however cleaner than any of the 3 star properties of hotels I have stayed at in the past years and have a nice bath/shower with lots of hot water. We like the St Germain adress as it is has a great location. It is next to the Seine and Pont 9, across the river from the Samartine department store, easy walking distance to the Louvre, Marais, Orsay, and a short walk to the Notre Dame cathedral and the Rue de Buci which has all manners of restaurants, food stores, bakeries etc. We often eat alot of French take out food from this street.
My priorities in looking for a place to stay include location, cleanliness, laundry facilities, amount of room, safety, good bathroom, kitchen if at all possible, comfortable beds, value and front desk/concierge help. Age, romantic ambience, etc. are lower in my practical needs. Hope this of some help to you.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:40 PM

I find that the best thing to do is to ask the hotel specifically what type of bed is provided. In regards to fitting, for example, when I inquired about a triple room for us a couple of hotels asked the age of our child; now that he's 13 one of them replied that they won't be able to put us in one room, they want us to reserve either two doubles or one single and a double. They said there is no space for all three of us in one room. So it all depends on the hotel you check with. There are four of you and you may need to get a quad room or two rooms.