Search

hotel base

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel base

I'm looking for help finding for hotel bases and must sees in the following areas...
We are hoping for a memorable hotel or BandB within a great location. At or under 200 euros is ideal. I don't mind doing a little something extra because it's my husbands 40th.

We need a hotel in Cork to best explore the:
The Beara Pen/ and southern ireland

Hotel in Galway:
to explore Connemara
(I've looked at The twelve hotel and g hotel in galway...any thoughts?)

Ennis:
to stay a night and head for Shannon Airport the next day
(I've looked into The old ground..good reviews... seems central?)
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 03:54 AM

A little Irish help here?
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 05:33 AM

I'm fond of The Ardilaun in Galway. www.theardilaunhotel.ie, also compare prices booking.com or trivago

The Old Ground in Ennis does great breakfasts, stopped there on my way to Shannon for breakfast but didn't see the rooms.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 08:21 AM

When we were in Galway, we stayed at the Forster Court Hotel. It was only a few minutes walk to the Eyre Square shops and pubs. The bus to Rossaveel(and Aran Island ferry)was only 2 blocks away. Across the street was the An Pucan, a pub that had Irish dancing and good music everynight. Not a 5 star hotel but we were satisfied and the breakfast was good too.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

thank you VonVan for geting the help started
!!!
Cathinjoetown and bean11 thanks so much for the advice. I will be looking both up tonight!
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 05:32 PM

Hi travsgirls...what a great birthday treat for your OH!
we are going to ireland next feb so we too have been asking for help and researching ourselve..
i emailed the irish tourism board and they mailed me a heap of brochures and a great little book on B and Bs...all for free
we arent following your route..( we are heading north from dublin and working our way down to galway and then across to dublin again) but we too will stay in galway
MARLESS HOUSE has been recommended by fodorites as well as trip advisor..im keen to stay there because you can walk into town along the promenade or theres a bus ( being winter we might have to duck and dodge the weather)
we havent booked it yet...only because we want to be flexible on this roadtrip but i was surprised at how some places quickly become unavailable...maybe because the 6nations is on..not sure..
so do check if there are any events are on in that region well before you book
good luck and have a memorable trip!
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 05:53 PM

Oh and if you do get out to westport...i found a nice-looking B and B/ pub called the Helm (check it out on youtube)..westport looks like a must-see for us but I dont know if it is a daytrip from galway for you...( we will be overnighting there before heading to galway which will most likely be our last overnighter before we head back to dublin)

weather might pretty much dictate what you get to see in the way of scenery ..the cliffs
of moher ( friend who has been told me) cant be seen in bad weather so be prepared to be flexible

and i also read that if youre going to drive the ring of kerry ( and you might well take a coach instead) then go the opposite direction to the coach route so you dont get stuck looking at the rear of the bus the whole trip..depends of course if youre going at the height of tourist season

the same friends also recommended that we look at kenmare as a base for that area ( we were planning to try to incorporate the southwest but impossible in the short seven days we have)

ill follow this thread with interest as others add their opinions and suggestions...
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 06:45 PM

We stayed at The Helm in Westport because they had apartments, which is our preferred lodging. It was OK, but certainly not fancy or luxurious or special.

In Galway, we stayed at Seaview Apts in Salthill; we loved seeing the bay from our windows and the location was great--lots of restaurants nearby and the bus into Galway center stopped at our door,
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

lanejohann what great information! Thanks for taking the time!!!
It looks like I need to look up Westport...we are flexible at this point.
abram thank you for your insight as well!
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 08:10 PM

Abram...did you eat at the Helm? apparently the food is lovely and the atmosphere most convivial LOL

i am a tad worried about the quality of food in ireland on the whole and i know that meals are expensive and hit and miss so i would appreciate any tips about the Helm in that regard
I agree that the lodgings werent overly luxurious at the Helm but i thought it might be nice to stay there anyway...it has a selfcontained apartment ..might be unnecessary for us but good for those who want a base? yes? no?

Youtube is a fabulous resort...so many people post their vids using a car or helmet cam ...and an impartial, ordinary travellers viewpoint can be so helpful