Hotel Al Ponte Antico

Apr 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Al Ponte Antico

Has anyone stayed here? Is it as great as Locanda Orseolo? We're looking for a Venice hotel with canal views around 330 Euros...suggestions?
Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:52 PM

Hi! We will be there in July and can report back. When will you be in Venice? I can only assume that it will be as good as Locanda Orseolo if not better. The common areas look to be a bit larger than at LO. Barbara wrote back and said Matteo is so proud of his new hotel.
May 9th, 2007, 04:26 AM

We were originally booked fo LO for September but friends just returned last week and stated we MUST switch to Al Ponte Antico. Couldn't stop raving about Matteo and the hotel. Just received our confirmation for the switch to Al Ponte and are counting the days (132)!
Take care, LisaS
Jun 6th, 2007, 10:35 PM

Oh my goodness, after reading these reviews I wish I were going there instead of LO! Maybe next year --
Jun 15th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Does this mean that Matteo is no longer at Locanda Orseolo making chocolate banana crepes? It's one of the things I'm really looking forward to!
Jun 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM

We were in Venice 2 weeks ago. Stayed for the second time at the Locanda Orseolo.

We checked out Al Ponte Antico. Matteo welcomed us with open arms. We sat on the balcony, had a glass of wine and enjoyed the beautiful scenery along the Grand Canal.

He and Barbara are so proud of their new B&B. Although it looked fine to us, they're planning on doing some re-modeling in Jan.

Yes, they're still making those wonderful chocolate crepes at the LO. We also had the most delicious scrambled eggs with cheese and fresh white asparagus.

Enjoy your trip.

Jun 15th, 2007, 02:14 PM
sha

We're going to al ponte antico next weekend. Do they also do the chocolate crepes? We were supposed to be at LO but they cancelled our reservations due to plumbing problems.
Jun 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM

I don't know if the Al Ponte Antico makes the chocolate crepes. Even if they don't, you'll love the view from the terrace. It's a perfect spot to see the sunset.

LO is still working on the plumbing problem in several of their rooms. It originated from the building next door.

Jul 5th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Just back from a week at LO; I did go over and look at Al Ponte Antico & said hello to Matteo and his reception person, Oliver, who is definitely friendly and positive in the great LO tradition of Gigi, Francisco, and the gang.

I did see a room, which is in a slightly grander style than LO with Fortuny style draperies and furnishings. There are, I believe, 9 rooms, several of which have the canal view and several have not.

I agree with them that the common areas would benefit from their excellent decorative touches and taste, so I think after they renovate in January it will be awesome.

There is indeed a very nice terrace right on the Grand Canal. There'a a great and ample common area adjacent to the terrace as I recall. The hotel is JUST past the Rialto Bridge--on the other side heading away from Accademia/Rialto and toward P. Roma. Fantastic spot. I have a photo of the place with Matteo serving some wine to a couple of people enjoying the terrace I took as I went past on a vaporetto!

I would love to hear from the peple above who stayed here & hear what they thought.

Yes you can still get crepes and eggs in the a.m. at LO and they are as tasty as ever. I believe the new cook is from the family's hotel over on the Lido.
Jul 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Is Barbara at the new hotel or the LO? We are staying at LO for a few nights (our second time) over New Year's Eve...
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Barbara is at the LO.
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Thanks Katie2.... of course I love all of the staff but Barbara is my favorite. (Tim's favorite too, of course )
Jul 5th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Tim & Liz--Barbara is such a dear. She always has a smile and is so helpful as are all of the staff.

They always go the extra mile. When we arrived via water taxi, the window to the LO was open and Francesco was there to greet us. When we left, Gigi waved good bye.

Lucky you to be there on New Year's Eve. Have a chocolate crepe for us!
Jul 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Barbara, Francisco, Gigi, Lucca at night, and Igor in the office, are all still at LO. The new cook is great. Same breakfast. Same friendly staff. They are maintaining LO and developing the new place in the same spirit, it seems.
Jul 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM

We stayed at LO from 6/16 to 6/19 and had a wonderful experience, as always. The first time we stayed there in early 2005, my daughter asked if Matteo could make a banana & chocolate crepe for her, and he said he had never done that before but he would be happy to oblige. This time, I heard Barbara offering that as a standard item, so my daughter is quite proud.

I think it is funny that Matteo's replacement at LO is another handsome, charming man, Gigi. They definitely know how to keep the clientele happy!

We only saw the Al Ponte Antico from a restaurant across the canal, but it looks just lovely. I'd love to stay there (and see Matteo again!)
Jul 11th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Thanks for posting, Suki!

Please tell your daughter that I enjoyed a banana and chocolate crepe in March at the LO and am looking forward to my next one in December!

Liz
Jul 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Hello Everybody! My husband and I just returned from our wonderful 4 night stay at Al Ponte Antico. Matteo met us as we arrived in the water taxi and greeted us with great enthusiasm. It was great to see him again. He showed us to our room which was located right on the Grand Canal with a view of the Rialto Bridge. We were right on the same floor as where you have breakfast (on the balcony) which made it very accessible. Matteo later met us on the balcony and brought us up to date on what had transpired since we were there last May. He is as proud of this place as if he had given birth to another child! Right now he will be in charge of this hotel and Barbara will be in charge of Locanda Orseolo. It was a little sad not to see them together or to see Francisco and Gigi at the front desk but Oliver and Vladimir will do fine. We went over to LO to say hello to everyone before we left. The hotel, overall, is in good shape. However, it definitely needs Matteo's touch particularly in the reception area, the area where you arrive by water taxi, and a little bit on the balcony where you have breakfast and drinks later in the day. Matteo is working with a designer and they have all sorts of plans in the works that they hope to finish in January or at least by Carnival in February. But the great hospitality and personal attention is still there (along with the great breakfasts cooked by Matteo and served by Rosalba), and Matteo is training everyone to be just as friendly and personable as we all have come to expect. He will do well indeed. He is already booked up 3 years in advance for the annual regatta in Sept so the word is out. We will be back next year.
Jul 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
sha

We also just returned from Italy and were very spoiled at the Al Ponte Antico. Matteo is a rare gem. He makes you feel that you are a guest in his home and can't do enough for you. Our room was abutting the breakfast terrace which is right over the canal. As you look to the left...there's the Rialto bridge right in your face! The view is spectacular in all different lights of the day.

Our room was lovely but the bathroom needed some remodeling which I understand is to take place this January.

Everyone talks about Matteo's delicious pancakes, but the eggs are wonderful as well.

We would definitely return and may next year.