Hotel Accommodations in Athens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks, I am turning 50 tomorrow (Yikes) and my husband and I have been trying to secure a timeshare in Athens as my dream is to go to Greece. We will be traveling w/ 13 & 16 yr old daughters. No timeshares avail. So, I would be most appreciative of any sugg. for accommodations in/near Athens. We are not fancy folk, but cleanliness, quiet and affordability are our priorities. Oh, and safety, too, of course!
Many thanks!
LB1958!
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 05:31 PM

LB, we can help you if you give the needed information, if not, probably not.

What dates are you traveling? How many days do you want to spend in Athens? Do you plan to spend the whole time in Athens or do you just want to spend 1-2 days there and then go elsewhere on the mainland or to an island?

Safety is not really an issue for hotels in the areas most tourists want to stay in, such as Plaka district or Thissio. Cleanliness is also not an issue in such hotels. But you need to be more specific about "affordability". For some folks that's $300 per double per night (NOTE: at present exchange rate, that's just 203 Euros). For other people, affordable is $100 (which is less than 70 Euros at today's awful rate). Let us know where you fall in that spectrum. Thanks!
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 05:55 PM

We were very happy with the Athens Cypria--it was convenient to the Plaka, the rooms were large, the bathrooms were modern, and the price was about 100 Euro in 2005.

Ask for a room on the 6th floor with a view of the Parthenon from your balcony.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I stayed at the Attalos, a basic hotel with a view of the Parthenon from some rooms and a wonderful location.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM

Happy 50th birthday! It's quite a landmark birthday isn't it! We stayed at the Fresh Hotel and it was lovely although in a rundown part of Athens. It had a very funky rooftop bar and pool that your girls will enjoy. The girls could have a soda and you could toast the birthday. Stunning view to the Acropolis from the roof top.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 03:01 AM

Happy Birthday!

We leave in less than 2 weeks and are booked at Hotel Attalos based on Nikki's suggestion of a few weeks ago. Our room is 70 Euros/night for a double. They do have bigger rooms as well. If you can wait for a few weeks I'll be happy to report back on this posting. I am quite spoiled when it comes to luxury hotels but when it's just my husband and me we like to keep it simple - which is what this hotel promises!

I am very excited as this is our first trip to Greece!
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

So, we have now made some firm plans: week #1 (June 22) we fly from LAX to Rome and stay at a pensione that I found via this site!, Hotel Al SanPietrino. We will use this as our base camp for the week and take the train to Florence and Naples. Any other locations recommended?
week #2 (June 29) we stay at our timeshare on Crete. We would then take ferry or fly to Athens for a day trip. We may want to spend the night in Athens. Clean, Quiet, A/C and accommodations for 2 adults + 2 teenagers. From what I can tell, it seems we will need to book 2 separate rooms. Affordable for us would be @ $300 per double, but if we must pay for 2 rooms, it gets a bit pricey. In that case, we may want to go even cheaper. All recommendations suggested via this site are appreciated. Also, if anyone has "must see" visit sites during this itinerary, let us know. I am a RUINS freak so the more the better!
LB1958
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:47 PM

If you are truly a "ruins freak" you must realise that one day isn't going to be enough time to experience Athens. I think you will regret not spending more time there, two night would be good if your budget can stand it, especially if inexpensive accommodation means being out of the city a bit and you have to travel in each day. Don't miss the changing of the guard at Parliament House. This link might help with some ideas for places to visit in Athens http://www.stoa.org/athens/index. You could easily spend half a day wandering around the Acropolis, then there is the Ancient Agora, The Temple of Zeus etc. Hope you have a lovely time.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:11 PM

We were in Athens a few years ago, and stayed at the Athens Plaza hotel, which is right on Syntagma Square. It was nice and a great location. I have no idea of cost now, since we were there several (6) years ago.

If you like ruins, it will be hard to see all the sights in 1 day. 2 full days would be much better if you could swing it.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM

We stayed in hotel Attalos in a quad room with our two children. Should work fine for your family of 4. It was quite reasonable -- around 130 euros (in late June). Great location, nice room, lovely view of the Acropolis from our balcony and the rooftop bar. I'd definitely stay there again.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM

Last May we stayed at the Intercontinental Athens, a 5-star hotel that we got for $100US bidding on Priceline. Gorgeous rooms. They have a free shuttle to Syntagma Square. I noticed on biddingfortravel.com that you may have to bid a little more now, maybe in the $120US range, but still a great deal. The tax is extra.