Hostess Gift Suggestions

Jul 9th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Judy Ryan

Hostess Gift Suggestions

I am traveling with an OAT group (Overseas Adventure Travel), and we have having a home-hosted lunch somewhere on the way to Cordoba. It is just good manners to present your hostess with a gift. Any ideas? Have no idea of age, family, etc. Thank you in advance.

Jul 9th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Linda

Please, somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe a hostess gift is necessary in this situation. You are not really a guest in her home; you are a customer since your "hostess" is being paid by the tour company to provide you lunch. In my opinion, this is no different than eating in an inn that the owner lives in, so no gift necessary.

Jul 9th, 2001, 06:34 PM
???

Linda is probably right - no gift is necessary, but I personally think it would be a very gracious way to thank the hostess for having you in her home - even if she if paid for it.. Tour guides get tipped - and they get paid, so what's the difference? Is the hostess cooking for you? If so, maybe a regional cookbook from your area or some specialty food item (honey, spices, etc.) Maybe a nice coffee table book about the U.S. - or your specific state, town or region, etc.

Jul 10th, 2001, 02:32 AM
egg

I think that a gift would be a nice gesture. This "customer" thing is very interesting. Some Americans seem to be unable to grasp the idea of being a "paying guest". For example, B and Bs are much cheaper than hotels and you are essentially a guest in somebody's home. That means that you are entitled to good food and friendly service but should not be rude and demanding.
We met a woman in Scotland who said that she had decided to be "full up" in future to Americans. She had just had a couple who demanded iced water in their room. When she took them some up they told her rudely that they would let her know when they needed it but didn't want it now.
The next morning they "told" her to bring them another pot of coffee and then didn't drink any of it.

Jul 10th, 2001, 07:16 AM
j

Bring her some flowers.