Horseraces at Longchamp

Search

Horseraces at Longchamp

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horseraces at Longchamp

First trip to Paris - April 14-21. I think there are two races at Longchamp during that time. How can I found out more information in English? (dress code/attire, distance from Paris, race times)

Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:29 AM

http://www.france-galop.com/PROMO/Long.htm

will give you dates etc (it's in french).

Also the smaller course at longchamps is called the hippodrome - stil that into www.google.fr and you'll find plenty of sites.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Courtene:

They’re racing at Longchamp on April 15 (Sunday) and April 19 (Thursday) while you’re in Paris. April 15 is the better day to go in terms of quality racing. They will have three graded stakes races that day (called Group races in Europe). Usually, Sundays are the best days to go.

Attire is casual for most fans, though I imagine it can get fancy if you book a table at a race course restaurant. The first race is around 1:30. (If you happen to be at the Porte d’Auteil metro stop, once you get outside, you can hop a free navette (bus) that takes you right to the race course). They leave on a regular basis starting around noon. And you can get a free return ride from the Longchamp entrance/exit back to the metro stop.)

For more info: Go to www.france-galop.com
Once you’re there, hit the link that says ”reunion par date” or ”reunion par hippodrome” and you’ll get the racing dates by month or by track. You can also hit the Longchamp link, and get a lot more information about the race course and its amenities. It’s in French, but you’ll make your way through it if you don’t know the language.

Enjoy! And good luck if you bet!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Courtene--we were at Longchamp last fall for l'Arc de Triomphe weekend--it was fantastic ! The park is lovely, though quite different from what we had seen before at Churchill Downs, Saratoga, etc. The betting scheme took some time for us to figure out, but it was fun. Hubby came back to our seats with flutes & a small bottle of Moët after cashing in his first ticket !

The advice you have been given about casual attire seems correct. The free shuttle is also a good deal.

If you're interested in securing tickets ahead of time (not sure if this is as necessary for the spring as it was for the Arc ?)....they can be ordered through Reseau France Billets and picked up at FNAC in Paris.

Enjoy, and Bonne Chance !
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Courtene:

Not only do you not need advance tickets for Longchamp on April 15, you don’t need any money at all to get in.

I double-checked on the France Galop website, and entry that Sunday is free. It’s part of “Les Dimanches au Galop”: For that promotion, selected Sundays during the spring have free entry for patrons at Longchamp and some of the other principal race courses in France. (I hope to be at Longchamp May 13, another free Sunday.)

Even if it weren’t free on April 15, you wouldn’t need advance tickets. lifes2short went to Longchamp on France’s premier race weekend (lucky them!), the first weekend in October, when Sunday’s Arc day probably drew 40,000 or more fans. On April 15, if it’s a nice day, you’ll probably be among, say, 15,000 fans.

To lifes2short: Just an aside: I bet on the Arc at my local OTB here in upstate New York. (I live a few minutes from Saratoga Race Course) I had $5 to win on the Arc winner Rail Link at odds of 13-1.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Aside back to wanderful, who ' had $5 to win on the Arc winner Rail Link at odds of 13-1.' Now that's some fancy handicapping! Hubby had him in some exotic combo, I think, but not a winner.

On l'Arc Sunday we were surrounded by lots of Japanese folks, there to root on favorite son Deep Impact, but it was not to be. They were a very disappointed lot after the big race.

Yes, we were lucky to be able to visit Longchamp on that weekend, but I have to say I envy you for living so near to Saratoga. We are August regulars at that delightful little park in that charming little town. It always makes me (KY native) a bit homesick.

Still, there's nothing quite like Paris--with or without the horseraces. Sorry for the hijack, courtene !