Honfleur or ??

Aug 24th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Honfleur or ??

Three women are going to France, March, 2011. We'll be based in Paris but are interested in exploring a little farther out. We've all been to Paris several times. I've been to Normandy and Brittany, but they haven't. I've read about Honfleur and visited the tourism site, but wanted to ask those who've been there if it is as lovely as it looks. Looks like we can get a train, too, as we don't want to rent a car. We might make it a day trip if that is practical, or an overnight stay.
We are interested in photography, art, museums, churches, people watching, eating, but not night life.
Is there another coastal village that might be better or more easily reached?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Aug 24th, 2010, 04:57 AM

Honfleur is charming, seaside (obviously). I don't think there is much in the way of museum. The central wood cathedral (?) is interesting. Eating on the quay is delicious and beautiful.
What about Giverny? Or even Rouen. It has a nice museum with an Impressionist wing that we enjoyed a lot. And of course the Cathedral and square.
Chartres? WOnderful, of course. Good food around the cathedral, and that wonderful church.
Aug 24th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen, thanks. We are also thinking of Giverny and Chartres, but I'll put Rouen on the list of possibilities.
Aug 24th, 2010, 05:07 AM

Honfleur is charming and lovely in nice weather, but I would think it, as well as all Normandy coastal villages, might be rather grey and gloomy in March.
There is Erik Satie's House and Museum.

Dijon, less than 2 hours by TGV south of Paris, would be a good choice for what you're looking for, minus the seaside.
Aug 24th, 2010, 06:18 AM

I loved Honfleur. It does have a nice little art museum--the Boudin Museum. He was an early Impressionist painter with ties to Monet and others, and the small museum has a nice selection of his paintings (and others). Honfleur is a photographer's delight--the half-timbered buildings and the enclosed harbor, surrounded by picturesque buildings and packed with boats, are so photogenic. Beautiful views from the hill above town, which is easily reached on foot. And excellent restaurants! I don't think you would regret an overnight stay there.
Aug 24th, 2010, 06:22 AM

Cute place. Plan for cold, wet, gray, windy weather and you're unlikely to be disappointed.
Aug 24th, 2010, 07:15 AM

In March the weather is likely to be gray/damp/cool anywhere you go in northern France so don't let weather determine your destination. Honfleur is well worth visiting if you've never been. You won't be disappointed.
Aug 24th, 2010, 07:23 AM

We spent a week in Honfleur in May and it was cold and wet but we
thoroughly enjoyed being in this delightful town. I think it ticks
all the boxes for you and your friends - it really is a charming
place plus the restaurants are great!
Aug 24th, 2010, 07:47 AM

Honfleur meets all your requirements nicely, including museums (there are at least three: the Musee du Vieux Honfleur, the Erik Satie Museum, and the Musee Eugene Boudin). St-Catherine's church is the oldest wooden church in France. Get up early and watch the fishermen grab a coffee and red wine in the bars before setting out in their boats. The restaurants and food are delightful. Yes, it's every bit as pretty as it looks.
Aug 24th, 2010, 10:45 AM

DH and I LOVE Honfleur. It is indeed a picture postcard village. We must have hundreds of shots of the harbor. Along with others, I also question the time of the year simply because it tends to be rainy along the coast. If you decide to go, hopefully you will have nice weather.

If you decide to stay over, last year we stayed at a charming B&B in Honfleur which, I highly recommend! La Petite Folie:
http://www.lapetitefolie-honfleur.co...tent/index.php
(There are loads of positive reviews on Trip Advisor as well).

The B&B is run by an American woman, Penny, and her husband. Penny is simply a wonderful host. She provided us with great recommendations for shops & things to do. We spent two nights in Honfleur last fall and fortunately had GREAT weather! She's also a foodie so she knows the best restaurants if that's your thing. Along with B&B accomodations, they also offer apartment type of accommodations so I thought that might suit your group well. I don't believe there's a minimum night stay but of course it's best to check with them.
Aug 24th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

The weather is always an issue but some of the group can only travel in March, so we get the latest possible dates for our trips. This year looks like March 23-31. I've been in Normandy in the last half of October twice, perhaps the weather is similar to that. We had some very nice, dry days and some rainy, chilly ones. One year we went to Vienna and the temps stayed in the low 20's F, with several inches of snow on the ground. There were 7 of us, 6 from Southern California with no serious clothes for that kind of weather. They had to make a hurried trip to find warm shoes and clothes, lots of layers, as most cold weather clothing was gone by March where they live. We still had a great time.
I will check out the links. I hope it works out for us to go this time.
Thanks, everyone!