Search

Honeymoon trip in Alps - Early June

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon trip in Alps - Early June

Hey,

This is our first time in Europe & want to have a 10-11 day honeymoon trip in the Alps. We are very confused if we should target Switzerland, Austria or Italy ! What do you guys recommend ?

We are very much interested in the natural scenery more than the city hustle. So, like we are very impressed with Hallstat, Schafberg etc. But have read a lot about the Dolomites too plus Italy gives the added advantage to cover Amalfi / beach towns too. And who can doubt the beauty of Switzerland !!

A couple of restrictions we have are of 9-11 days & hoping to do with a budget of 3500 USD except flights from my home country.. We would prefer staying in decent hotels rather than AirBnBs & hostels are a definite no-no.

Really appreciate all the help I can get here !
​​
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 11:25 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
If budget is an issue, you'll want to skip Switzerland, which is very expensive.

You'll get more bang for your buck in Italy or Austria, but keep in mind that places like Hallstatt and the Dolomites are tourist magnets, although early June is still early for the Dolomites, so it may be less busy then. With only 10-11 days, I suggest picking two or three bases not far from each other. Moving from one place to another eats up alot of time.

Are those 9-11 days on the ground, or does that include travel time?
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 11:55 AM

If you're wanting to accomplish both beach and mountain, imho, Amalfi Coast would not be my first choice. In part from it's location (South of Naples) compared to the other areas you're considering. I'd actually suggest considering beach areas closer to the region you're going if that is a priority. Amalfi while on the coast, can be pretty crowded, too (full disclosure: currently planning myvown trip to the area and basing this off what others have stated). Is there perhaps a locale in Northern Italy coast that might fit the bill of a beachy area that you could easily combine with Dolomites or neighboring alpine regions? Perhaps someone familiar with this area can suggest one for you.

Another option might be Como area Would not be sea but Lakes. Can also be very busy at this time of year so you may need to decide soon for reservations. Lake Garda might also be an option, too.

Is your honeymoon going to be shortly or just after the wedding? If so, consider moving around less and take the time to breathe and relax with your new spouse. Weddings are so stressful and having that time to breathe may be necessary. And with that, consider moving less.
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 12:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors and congratulations.

Is your $3500 meant to cover everything other than the flights? Accommodations, meals, ground transportation, Gondola/tram rides, etc?

If so that may be difficult - especially in Switzerland which is generally a very expensive country using 10 days on the ground - that is $350 per day all in. That will go farther in Austria and parts of Italy. If you must stick to a $3500 budget maybe consider shortening the trip to one week. Staying 7 days would at least up your budget to $500 per day.

"But have read a lot about the Dolomites too plus Italy gives the added advantage to cover Amalfi . . ." Simply because the Dolomites are in Italy doesn't make them convenient to the Amalfi Coast so that probably shouldn't figure in to your planning one way or the other.

Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 12:21 PM

Oh - I didn't see Melnq8's post - I could swear Travel_Nerd's was the only response when I posted??

In any case -- I totally agree with what she said (since I said much the same thing )
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
Oh - I didn't see Melnq8's post - I could swear Travel_Nerd's was the only response when I posted??

In any case -- I totally agree with what she said (since I said much the same thing )
Ok, that was weird. Mel, did you get caught up in the spam filter?!
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 01:10 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, my post went into moderation.
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 01:36 PM

phew -- I thought I was losing it
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Part of the Alps are in France, away from Geneva the prices come down.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 05:33 PM

What about Montreux area?
I stayed in a suburb with gorgeous views over Lake Geneva of the snow-capped French Alps!
And FWIW, although I do stay in vacation apartments, I spend around $3000 (excluding airfare) for 11-12 days in Switzerland, without being frugal!
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 02:31 AM

Early June:
you may still find snow at some places above 2000 metres
Most lifts/gondolas don't run already.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 05:22 AM

Before you write off Switzerland completely (as some posters above seem to have done), there are some places you could consider. Zermatt is more open in early June than many other Alpine villages/resorts. And there are some good deals for accommodations then. Example, for a week, you could rent this chalet (9.5 rating on bookingdotcom) for under 1300 francs. Or for about 2800 francs you could stay a week in the 5-star L'Ermitage Hotel in the pretty village of Schoenried. Sounds like a lot but it includes a lovely room with balcony plus breakfast, light lunch, afternoon tea (cakes etc) and a full dinner with a pretty broad menu. The rate also includes access to the extensive spa, inc indoor/outdoor pools, gym, relaxation space. And some activities like guided hikes (you are free to wander on your own of course). It's on the Zweisimmen to Montreux train line, which means you could easily head down to Lac Leman (Geneva) for exploring there. Or day trip to Bern, Wengen, Grindelwald etc. https://www.ermitage.ch/en My friends and I stayed there for several days and loved it.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 08:43 AM

Re the meals at the Ermitage, they have several restaurants (one is dog friendly) and you get assigned a table that is yours for your stay -- our favorite was the Ermitage stuben. You can tell the manager which dining room you like and they'll put a placecard with your name on the table and you can come down any time while the restaurant is serving (breakfast, lunch, dinner -- afternoon tea is served in the salon), instead of committing to a specific time. You can also ask to be put into a different dining room each day if you prefer variety. If you are interested, I can post some photos from our stay.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 10:09 AM

I do hope the OP isn't waiting for an alert from Fodors that there are responses?? Hasn't been back to the thread.