Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon to Nice, Paris and somewhere else??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2023, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have posted on Fodor's a few times regarding a honeymoon in October of 2024 that my fiancé and I will be going on. Here is the itinerary for locations so far and briefly things we are interested in doing.
Fly from Orlando to Nice, France on Tuesday October 22, arrive in Nice on 23rd.
October 23-26: Stay in Nice
October 26-27: Somewhere between Nice and Paris
October 27-31: Stay in Paris
Leave Paris on morning of the 31st

Here is my question: and I am open to suggestions. One idea we have discussed that we feel would make our honeymoon exciting, but also a bit unorthodox, would be to stay somewhere in between Nice and Paris for one night. We have looked into areas in Burgundy for a more country feel, or even areas like the Loire valley for the chateaus to visit on Saturday morning before we head out in the afternoon or evening. What are some suggestions for towns or areas that we could stay to make our honeymoon a bit special. And yes, I know it is only for one night, so one could always say that it would be great to stay for longer, but we are just graduating from college and want the most time in both Paris and Nice as possible.
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 10:05 AM

But you're hardly in Nice! You arrive on the 23rd, I don't know at what time, but you'll have off days on the 23rd and possibly the 24th because of jet lag. You have 1.5 day to explore Nice and then you leave already for Paris. I'd count nights instead of days. and allocate all your in-between days to lengthening your stay in/around Nice. From Nice you can have great access to the Alpes Maritimes and the hill top villages in the mountains above Nice. Maybe stay there and then go from Nice to Paris in one go. The Nice region has much to discover. A shame you're there for only a short time.
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 12:13 PM

To me, it feels almost like you keep asking the same question throughout all of your threads - you want to add more places but have not added more time. What is the answer you really want to hear? You have such a short amount of time and not really enough time to add another destination. Even if you do, getting to a destination for October 26th would leave you just a HALF day to explore before you need to leave the next day for Paris. Do you really want to spend this precious time on your honeymoon with a one night stay, schlepping your luggage everywhere?

I'm with menachem, explore more of the Nice area on October 26th. Leave for Paris as planned on Oct 27th.

And agree, you need to think your itinerary in terms of nights. Three nights in a place will net you two days of sightseeing, two nights equals one day of sightseeing, and so on.
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 04:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You are counting wrong . . .

What you actually plan is:

October 23-25: Stay in Nice . . . this = 2 full days plus part of a jet lagged arrival day)
October 26- Somewhere between Nice and Paris . . . which results in less than half a day wherever you decided to stop over
October 27-30: Stay in Paris = 3.5 days for Paris
October 31 fly home

IMO you do not have time to squeeze in a 3rd city. You barely have time for Nice and Paris (which has been explained on your three other threads)
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 04:58 PM

Congratulations, again!
Your enthusiasm and adventurousness leaps off the page. Your dedication to making this special for your bride is heartwarming. Especially, if this honeymoon is immediately after the wedding, a lot of downtime and simplicity is ideal. Stick to 2 locations, and you will have so much more of a relaxing and memorable experience. I can understand the inclination to fit just one more thing in, but don't. Your timetable has moved back a few times, into the end of October and so the weather will be more of a concern. This will not be a balmy, beachside experience, but the vistas and the charm of the area will still be worthwhile.
I think you need to lay it out:
23: arriving, adjusting, settling in
24-27 Nice area, 4 full days
28- travel to Paris, nice dinner in Paris
29-30 Paris,2 full days
31-leave
This is a wonderful blend of scenery, local flavor, Paris charm and sophistication. Enjoy!
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 05:25 PM

Good plan from Coral22.
I love Paris, so might cut a night from Nice and put it in Paris, but that is mostly for the museums and if it is nice weather for walking. Anyway, OP, give it lots more thought and do your research. You still have plenty of time to plan.

Do not count the same date in two places. It really does not work. Example: you can’t stay in Nice on the 26th and also stay somewhere between Nice and Paris that same day. With arrival and departure days and a travel day from Nice to Paris, you actually have only 6 days in place to explore.
Nice: 4 nts, 3 days
Oct 23, arrive Nice, settle in, walk,
Oct 24, 25, 26, Nice and surrounds

Paris: 4 nts, 3 days
Oct 27, Travel to Paris, evening, dinner, walk
Oct 28, 29, 30, Paris
Oct 31, depart for home.

If you honestly feel you are tired of Paris central after only two days, you can always go out to Versailles your third day.

You could also take Carol22’s suggestion and spend 4 days in Nice and 2 days in Paris.
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 10:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I asked google to show me the train to paris to nice showing all the stops
  • 09h10. Paris Gare De Lyon. TGV INOUI 6173.
  • 12h15. Marseille St Charles.
  • 13h12. Toulon.
  • 14h01. St Raphael Valescure.
  • 14h25. Cannes.
  • 14h39. Antibes.
  • 14h58. Nice Ville.
Much as I agree with what the guys say, have a look at Marseille
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 04:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Burgundy is a logical stepping stone

Last edited by Moderator1; Sep 19th, 2023 at 12:47 PM. Reason: removed response to a deleted post
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 06:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If you decide on spending a night in Burgandy, I highly recommend Beaune. Or fly from Nice to Paris.