Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

If you were spinding a week in Paris, and you had one more week to stay somewhere else in France, what would you pick?

Search

If you were spinding a week in Paris, and you had one more week to stay somewhere else in France, what would you pick?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 07:27 AM
Sally

My family and I are going to rent a flat in Paris. We want to rent a villa in one other French city. Kids are 10, 8, and 5. Any opinions on what would be a good "second" city. Oh, by the way, we only know a few words of French. <BR> <BR>Thanks, all.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 07:38 AM
s.fowler

That's a hard question to answer without more info -- but I'd suggest Normandy. I think there are plenty of activities that a young 'un would enjoy -- the invasion beaches -- Mont Saint Michel [have the older ones investigate tides before they leave!] There are wonderful towns -- Honfleur gets high ratings on this forum. I'll leave it to others to suggest a "base city" for you.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 09:14 AM
elvira

If it's the summer, you could rent a beach property on the Riviera, in Languedoc or on the west coast near Biarritz; you could rent a house in the Dordogne, on or near a lake - many come with swimming pools. <BR> <BR>I'd vote for the Dordogne; beautiful countryside, thousands of years of history, castles and caves, and outdoor activities of all kinds - hiking, walking, canoeing, sailing, horseback riding....

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 10:12 AM
John

I'd agree with the Dordogne, plus there are many British folks around (popular second home area) so English is widely spoken in shops, etc. Second place would be Annecy (mountains, beautiful lake, swans) for a serious change of scenery, plus educational day-trips easy to Geneva.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Katherine

I'd either go to the Loire Valley or to Lyon and take day trips in the direction of Annecy and Geneva. I wouldn't get fixated on the idea of a flat for a week. I think I'd move around more.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Nano

Sally, <BR>I would definitely head for one other place for the whole week and not try to change locations too much with all the kids. We just traveled with our 12, 10 and 6 year olds and we moved three times in 2 1/2 weeks and that was plenty! The kids could not have coped with packing and unpacking one more time. We liked the Dordogne a lot- our villa had a lovely pool and the kids lived in it. We also loved Paris. We found our villa on the Chez Nous website. Good luck.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 08:21 PM
RC

Provence. <BR>French country side with a Mediterranean touch. Great food, a touch of Roman ruins, country side imitating art ... <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 11:52 PM
Sue

Sally....I'd stay in Paris another week! But if you insist on leaving, I agree w/ s.fowler's advice. I took 13 &14yo to Paris then to Normany and Mont Saint Michel....they loved it. Great place to sneak in a history lesson w/out them realizing it too! My kids walked away from Normany w/ tears in their eyes and a thirst for knowledge about WW11...not bad for a summer vacation, eh?