Search

Honeymoon: Rome or Florence

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon: Rome or Florence

Hi,
My fiance and I are finalizing our plans for our August 2003 honeymoon. Right now we have plans to fly into Venice, then go to Florence and then on to the Amalfi coast. We are having second thoughts about Florence (fiance has already been there) and we are thinking about going to Rome instead. We would love to visit Florence, but we are thinking that we may want to include it on a Tuscany only trip.

Any thoughts?
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

I left out some important information. We are flying into Venice, staying there for 3 nights, then on to Rome or Florence, then to Positano. We are flying out of Rome.

Thanks for your help!
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:35 AM

That is tough--it really is a very personal choice. Frankly, I think Rome demands 5 days. But, You can do Florence in 3 and include a day trip to Siena--always a good idea.
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:56 AM

Dear GoBlue,
(Are you perchance a Wolverine, as I am?)

I would stick to Rome. Florence in August is incredibly crowded, and you'll spend so much of your time waiting in line. Rome may also have a lot of tourists, but there are more attractions, and things are "spread out" a bit more. Just my opinion. I went to Florence on a day trip from Rome in February, and couldn't believe how crowded it was then. By August, trust me, it won't get better.

Congratulations on your impending marriage, and no matter which destination you choose "buon viaggio".

BC
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:47 AM
kle

We did Rome and Florence. Rome in 3 days and only one in Florence - we are not real arsty and historical so that worked for us! I would recommend Rome. Bring your legs along!
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:49 PM

Another vote for the Rome option. The historical center of Florence is compact; great for walking around to major sites, BUT, when it's high season you'll find the streets very, very crowded. I think you'd best enjoy Florence on a Tuscany only trip during the spring or fall. Plus I love the 'yin & yang' of going to Rome, followed by Amalfi coast.
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:51 PM

Hi- I happen to love Florence, and its a quick ride on the Euro Star train(just under 3 hours) from Venice.
Even if you're not a quote " museum Person" there's still lots to do & see.
Great restaurnts, shopping etc.
Not knowing your budget I hesitate to recommend , but if you really want to splurge check out www.villacora.com
Many Congrats.
Fluffy
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:04 PM

I was in Florence 2 summers ago and it was so crowded you couldn't even see the street you were walking on. At one time it was my favorite city, now I do't even want to return. Rome is wonderful! It has so much life and there is so much to do. I vote Rome.
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:09 PM

We would certainly choose Rome over Florence in August. Of course you can't begin to "do" Rome in a short visit, but a few days is long enough to fall in love with the place.
Don't worry- whichever you decide, you'll have a wonderful timr!
Byrd
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. To answer bookchick's question, yes, I am a fellow Wolverine!

Thank you for all of your advice. We are leaning toward Rome and I think we may change our hotels. We are using Starwood points (FH just quit consulting, so we have lots to use up) so we will either stay at the Westin Excelsior or the St. Regis. Does anyone have any preference?
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:53 PM

Definitely Rome. I have been to both and I think Rome is so much more romantic and there is so much to enjoy there. All the piazzas, the fountains at each square, there is just a feel that is unequaled. People told me I would either love or hate Rome. I loved it. I think it is the best choice.
Old May 8th, 2003, 01:21 PM

While Florence is truly a magnificent city, one of my favorites in fact, August is certainly not the time to be there. It is dreadfully hot, and mobbed with tourists.
You're going on your honeymoon - relax and enjoy yourselves.

Go with Rome.

Congratulations!

E
Old May 8th, 2003, 03:08 PM

Just a suggestion - if you are flying out of Rome, why not go directly to Positano first and then visit Rome last. That way you will not lose a day going back and staying near the airport before you go home. Also, the coast may be a nice break in between two cities.
Old May 8th, 2003, 03:13 PM

I think either city is a romantic choice, but I would definitely choose one, and save the other for another trip. Rushing isn't romantic. Having more time for savoring the atmosphere is....plus less time packing/unpacking, and more time to "Lounge" around your hotel room ;-)
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Whenever you take your Florence/Tuscany trip, consider going in mid- to late October. The descriptions others have made about Florence in August bear no resemblance whatsoever to what we experienced in October.
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:58 PM

I will also put in my vote for Rome. Because Rome is a bigger city I think you can feel like you have more personal space. You can find quieter spots in Rome too like the Palatine and the Borghese Gardens.

If you are still interested in Florence but concerned about crowds maybe its worth staying outside the city but very close by like in Fiesole. I haven't done it but I'm sure someone here has.
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:27 AM

Definitely Rome! I was utterly amazed at how beautiful Rome was. I would also reccommend staying in the historical district.

There is a very romantic restaurant we went to called Il Bacaro (Via degli Spagnoli 27, Piazza Navona). Delicous food in a romantic atmosphere and not too pricy.

Frankly, I was a little disappointed by Florence, it was very dirty and crowded. I could not find one thing wrong with Rome.
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

We just changed our plans to Rome. We will be staying at the Westin Excelsior in Rome as we have lots of Starwood points. Thank you all for your help!
Old May 14th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Rome is my favorite city in Italy.
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:25 PM

Another vote for Roma. Florence is great if you are a huge Renaissance nut--Rome has more layers of history, art, architecture. Because the most popular sights in Florence are concentrated in a relatively small area, it is beastly crowded in the summer. Things are more spread out in Rome.