Honeymoon itinerary suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of planning a honeymoon in late June. We are not going right after the wedding, but I wanted to see if our plan was feasible. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Day 1. Fly into Madrid
Day 2. Madrid
Day 3. Madrid - train to Seville
Day 4. Seville
Day 5. Seville - travel to Torremolinos. (Can this be done by train?)
Day 6. Torremolinos
Day 7. Torremolinos - day trip to Gibralter
Day 8. Torremolinos - day trip to Tangiers
Day 9. Torremolinos - day trip to Granada
Day 10. Torremolinos
Day 11. Fly from Malaga to Madrid to home

Does this sound like a bad idea or too stressful? I have read that Torremolinos is a bit touristy, but we wanted to do some day trips offered by Coast Africa. Other options are welcomed!
Thank you for the help!
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 07:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Torremolinos and Gibralter are a bit touristy while late June is getting busy. If it were me I might also look at Cordoba and Grenada. Malaga is worth a little time, great museum, fortress and church and people watching to die for. See if you can swing for the Posada (or whatever the state hotel chain is called ).

Tangiers is ok but not a touch on Fez or Marakesh. I know the train goes Seville to Malaga and to the airport not sure about torrem..
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 09:10 AM

You can travel by rail from Sevilla to Malaga and then take the Cercanías to Torremolinos.

With such a limited amount of time, I would stick to Madrid, Sevilla and either Malaga or Granada.

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM

I think you are missing what is best about Spain.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help guys! Sassafrass, what do you think I'm missing? And what is the Cercanias?
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

I'm now considering staying in Malaga instead of Torremolinos. What is the easiest way to see Granada, Gibralter, and Tangiers? Can I do any of this by train from Seville?
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM

The Cercanias is a local commuter train. You'll find the drop-down menu on the Renfe.es web page. Click on Malaga and then on the route map (Plano).

Granada you can do by bus. Tangiers really isn't worth the time unless you can head south for a few days. And Gibraltar?

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM

Hi travelin sam,

Sorry not to get back to you sooner. Okay, remember, this is all just my opinion.

Spain has so much charm in the warrens of twisty pedestrian streets, cathedrals, towns perched on tops of hills & cliffs, dance, museums, music & plazas. You will find those in Seville & Granada, but also in places like Toledo, Segovia, Barcelona & the white villages

Torremolinos is pretty touristy with not so much to recommend it, again just imho.

Gibralter is interesting, but not nearly so charming and interesting as Spain. It takes a lot of time to get there. It isn't particularly pretty. If you have a real interest in the history between Spain & England, and want to see a very big rock, the apes and a cave, that is mostly what it is about. I sure wouldn't choose it over seeing Toledo or Segovia, near Madrid.

Tangiers doesn't give you a real sense of Morocco, again takes a lot of time & money.

Consider at least two days in Madrid, one to see the sights, one to day trip to either Toldeo or Segovia. I might even add another day to Madrid and visit El Escorial or Segovia.

Consider another night in Seville. It is romantic and lovely.

What about some of the White villages, Arcos or Ronda?

Granada is so lovely and interesting, I would not day trip there, but spend a couple of nights. There is more to see than just the Alhambra. The gardens will be beautiful then.

Remember, it will already be quite hot in Southern Spain in June.

If you rent a car in Seville, you could go to one of the pretty beaches in nearby San Lucar, Santa Maria or Rota.

Now, one last crazy thing to throw into the mix.
Were this my trip, I would play around with this idea.

Madrid - 2 days (3 nts)
(at least one day trip)
Seville - 2/3 days (3/4 nts)
(visit one white village)
Granada - 1 day (2nts)
Fly to Barcelona - 4 days

These things would make a more romantic honeymoon. That being said, whatever you choose will be fun and you will have a good time.