Honeymoon in Spain...help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband to be and I just booked our flights to Spain to spend 13 days there for our honeymoon. I am overwhelmed with choices and what to do...we fly into Madrid and fly out of Barcelona. We love to relax, dine (I am a chef), drink wine, maybe a few museums, but just really explore and jump into a differenct culture. I need recommendations and help. Normally I put together all our travel but right now I have overwhelming Bridal Brain and can't take on another task!!! Please help!
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM

I think Andalucia'll fit perfectly to you))
Costa del Sol – surprising region, which many cultures and religions was originally reflected in: Phoenician, Greek, Roman, Muslim and Christian. Many great places to see: Granada, Cordoba, Toledo and Seville. And also Andalusia is a corrida native land. And beaches... and see... Beautiful dream)))
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM

You have an overwhelming array of choices. I would buy a guidebook and insist that your fiance also look through it. It doesn't take that much time to flip through a book and mark what appeals to you. Each of you should flag the region you most would like to visit in between Madrid and Barcelona, where I assume you will spend at least 4 days each. That only leaves 5 days to fill!
Let us know more about your travel preferences--will you rent a car? Do you want to stay put mostly, or bus/train from place to place?
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Also, what month? That can make a big difference.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi sferranto - congrats on your nuptuals, AND ahving t hegood sense to come here!

yorkshire has asked exactly the question that occurred to me -what time of year? that said, as you are a chef, you couldn't go very wrong with Barcelona. there are an outstanding number of great restaurants there, virtually all of which we missed as we were full of the wonderful tapas.

you could do say three nights in Madrid, longer of you want to go to Segovia and/or Toledo, then 4 in barcelona, then pick up a car and tour the coast/hinterland for a few days. that would be quite enough for 13 days, and might even ensure that you stay married!
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Time of year matters immensely. IMHO the most interesting part of Spain - and can be very relaxing - is Andalusia. But it's hot as hell in the summer - with daily temps often over 100 degrees - and many places with no AC.

So, when will you be traveling>
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies...and I now realize I forgot to mention that we will be traveling from November 10th of this year. We prefer not to rent a car and would love to travel via bus/train.

What is the best way to get to Andalusia? And what about Seville? Recommended or even doable in our timeframe?
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Seville is a stunning and very romantic city
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 08:12 AM

The best way is to spend a few days in Madrid and take a day trip to Toledo or Segovia. Then take the AVE train to Seville for 3 nights, then to Granada for two nights. You might find Andalucia to be the best part of your trip. At this point you can fly from Granada to Barcelona or spend a night in Malaga and take the high speed train through Madrid to Barcelona. I know you can't change your trip but Barcelona is just okay for me and I find San Sebastian to be amazing although maybe a bit cold and rainy in Nov. It is also currently coinsidered the culinary capital of the world if you're a chef. You probably can't get into the world's best restaurant el Bulli about an hour north of Barcelona but you can go to chef Ferran Adria's brother Albert's tapas resaturant called Inopia in Barcelona for cutting edge Spanish cuisine.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 01:29 PM

If you are a chef, don't you want to go to Madrid, San Sebastian and Barcelona?

Madrid has great restaurants with great examples of all the regional cuisines of Spain, so it's a great place to begin. I would take a fast train from there to Barcelona, to experience Catalonian food, then I would rent a car to drive through France to San Sebastian (although others would recommend driving through Spain). Either way, the trip can be done in day with an overnight en route. Another choice would be to fly from Madrid to San Sebastian (or Bilbao), rent a car there to head to Barcelona, hopping back to Madrid for the flight home.

November is not an optimal time to visit San Sebastian -- but the food is so marvelous, it would make up for the lack of beach weather for me.

If you simply want to relax, relax, relax, I would fly to Madrid, relax and eat, fast train to Cordoba, see the great mosque and eat, head to the Alhambra, book the parador there, eat in its restaurants, stay a few nights for the romance, and fly back to Madrid. But I wouldn't go to Andalucia for the food.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 01:31 PM

By the way, cheap plane flights are often the best way to travel in Spain, although fast trains can help. In some places buses (like between Bilbao and San Sebastian) are superior. I can appreciate not wanting to rent a car, but driving in Spain is straightforward (likewise France) outside the large cities.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 04:59 AM

This was going to be my advice, so I will quote Egbert:
"The best way is to spend a few days in Madrid and take a day trip to Toledo or Segovia. Then take the AVE train to Seville for 3 nights, then to Granada for two nights. You might find Andalucia to be the best part of your trip. At this point you can fly from Granada to Barcelona.."
This plan gives you adequate time in Madrid and BCN, plus a flavor of Andalucia. If you want to cut time off Mad or Bcn (but again, I think 4 days in each would be appropriate), then you could visit more places in Andalucia. All major cities and several smaller towns are well linked by bus and train.
But, you really don't want strangers planning the trip, so I suggest picking the place that appeals to you the most. No one has mentioned Maribel's guides yet--a regular poster with loads of info on Spain (do a search).
A good alternative plan would be to pick a smaller town that is reachable by bus and train in between Mad and Bcn to spend 5 more relaxing days.
Best advice--don't plan too much moving around on a honeymoon trip.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 05:26 AM

www.josemadeinspain.com
I especially like his Comida Gallega segment. Of course I also like the Basque cuisine; and mid-November the weather shouldn't be too terrible in Bilbao (Vizcaya) & thereabouts. If you go there, be sure to visit Bilbao's Mercado Central, a 3-level Market on the Nervion River near Casco Viejo.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 08:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
www.maribelsguides.com