Honeymoon in Rome...help!!

Aug 31st, 2001, 11:31 AM
Kelly

Honeymoon in Rome...help!!

I'm planning my honeymoon--three days in Rome! I want us to remember this forever and so I wonder if you fodorites can help. We are in our mid-twenties, we are scientists, love classical music, painting and cooking. We will be arriving late in the afternoon the day before the first full day of the three day honeymoon. There is so much to see and do in Rome and I know the lines must be very long. Can anyone suggest an itinerary that would include fascinating things to see and do in Rome that aren't necessarily the major sights with the long lines? I have been reading guide books for weeks now, and, while I want to see everything, I know that much of the sightseeing will have to wait until we return some other day in our future. So I think that seeing things that maybe aren't in the guide books but that are just wonderful would make this a very special honeymoon. Do any of you have suggestions for us?

Aug 31st, 2001, 11:33 AM
Kelly

I'm sorry--I should have said we love art--(not painting)

Aug 31st, 2001, 12:43 PM
Linda

One thing you may want to do is to book a tour of the Vatican museums (including the Sistine Chapel) with a reputable tour guide. (One highly recommended on on this board is Scala Reale, book-able ahead of time thru www.scalareale.com.) This will accomplish the following: You'll satisfy, at least partially, your desire to see truly great art; you'll get to see one of Rome's absolutely "must-dos"; you won't have to stand in line--the tour guide will get you right in; and you'll get a great insight into the art from the tour guide.

I don't think there's ever a line into the Forum; I think this year you just enter. Many sights are this way, like the Pantheon and Trevi fountain, Piazza Novona, etc.

But one of the best things about Rome is that many of the sights are just there, out in the open, for anyone to see. The other "best thing" is that you can experience so much by spending just a little "walking around" time or by taking time to sit in a cafe over a glass of wine or cup of cafe and watching the world go by.

Congratulations on your impending nuptuals. And have a wonderful time in a truly great city.

Aug 31st, 2001, 12:44 PM
Paul

Kelly, I'm not an expert on Rome, but my wife and I spent four days there on our honeymoon before going to Tuscany, and had an amazing time. One thing I'll say is that Rome is so vibrant that just walking around arm in arm will be satisfying. If I would pick one major site to see it would be the Forum, because in my two times there (once on a trip alone) it was never a wait to get in because it's so large, and it's an astonishing thing to walk around amongst those beautiful ruins. But, if you're not at all into history, maybe it wouldn't be the best thing. I'd also recommend an evening stroll and dinner in Trastevere, the old (very old) neighborhood just south of the Vatican. Sorry I can't be more specific, but have a great time!

Aug 31st, 2001, 11:05 PM
Leslie

Kelly - You don't say what time of year your are going but I think your concern over lines is not well founded. Crowded piazza's, yes. But lines, not necessarily - I think only for the Vatican Museum and the Coloseum did we encounter a line and these were no big deal. We were there at Eastertime and had only a 15 min wait to enter the Vatican Museums by arriving 15 minutes before opening. The Scala Reale tour is another option. The wait in line for the Coloseum was 20 minutes max. and this is a must see. There was a line to climb to the top of St. Peters dome ("Cupola") so we skipped it, though many report a spectacular view. Definitely go to the Vatican Museum and to St. Peter's Bascilica, though.

For you, plan on lots of romantic arm in arm strolling..the Piazza Navona and Piazza della Rotonda (Pantheon) both are nice places's for a cafe latte and people watching. Also the stroll from the Piazza di Spagna along the Via Condotti, ending at the Fontana di Trevi is very nice. Throw a coin in the fountain and wish for a return trip. Lunch or dinner in a sidewalk cafe on the Via Veneto, lovely. Another: the Campidoglio (Capitoline Hill) a beautiful piazza designed by Michelangelo and my personal favorite as they apparently don't allow trinket vendors in this one - catch the view over the Foro Romano from the left side of the center building of the Campidoglio, then walk back down the front steps and circle round to the Piazza Venezia to see the beautiful huge Vittorio Emanuale II monument.

Early morning flower and produce market in the Campo De Fiori is also fun.

The Galleria Borghese is a beautiful museum, but requires advance reservations so you won't have to worry about lines there. Have a great trip.

Sep 1st, 2001, 08:46 AM
topper

to the top

Sep 1st, 2001, 09:49 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Kelly, go immediately to the only source you will need for all things Roman---www.twenj.com--nuff said !

Sep 1st, 2001, 08:22 PM
JB

Kelly - There is no line to Rome itself, and just being there and seeing the chaos, the beauty, life being lived by the Romans, in my opinion, is the best Roma la bella has to offer! And it is your honeymoon after all (and all that's implied there , so my best advice is to write up a mock itinerary of places you would like to see or things you would like to do (if only to learn the hours and days of operation, etc.) and then just go with whatever happens. I myself have been to Roma 3 times and have never even made it into the Vatican Museum...although I have tried twice! (The reasons I never made it were totally Roman...so much more the amusing!), but now I think of it as my "coin in the Trevi Fountain," and my assurance of my return to Roma. In fact I'm now afraid to enter the museum! I will return though, I know it, and one day I will see It All. I just laugh when people give me a hard time for missing La Cappella Sistina! So what! I'll see it next time...or the next time...or the next time...

However, I've been to the Forum on every trip, even though I never planned it that way...just turns out all three times my husband and I were travelling with different groups of friends who hadn't been there so we returned, because that's what we decided to do on the spur of the moment.

Okay, so with that said, I would also suggest just walking around the Centro Storico, visit Piazza Navona, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Campo de' Fiori (no lines at any of these places!), eat gelato, hold hands, marvel at the textures...look for a Roman cat on an ancient doorstep next to a baroque church, sit at a restaurant all day long that you just found and fell in love with (with no help of a guide book!), go wherever the moment leads you, stop for a coffee, an acqua frizzante, some vino, whatever you feel like at whatever the moment and don't fight destiny in the eternal city!

And lastly, I envy you! What a beautiful place for a honeymoon...

Sep 2nd, 2001, 06:37 PM
Kelly

So many wonderful suggestions for things to do--thank you all so much!

Sep 4th, 2001, 02:03 AM
topping

To the top