Prague, Vienna, Busapest, Salzburg trip

Sep 1st, 2001, 05:32 PM
tom

Prague, Vienna, Busapest, Salzburg trip

WIll be flying into Frankfort next week. Planning on taking a train directly to Prague. Spending a couple of days there, then on to Vienna, then maybe Budapest, Salzburg and then work our way back to Frankfurt. Total of ten nights. Any suggestions on reasonable hotels, places to eat and things to see would be appreciated.

Sep 1st, 2001, 06:32 PM
Jim Bell

The Hotel-Pension Excellance in Vienna was great.
4 star for 990 ATS. Ask for a room in the back. Tram runs in front of the hotel. In Salzburg be sure to stay in
Old Town. In Budapest we stay at the Gold Buda. About a half mile from the river in Buda but the value makes up for the walk.

Sep 1st, 2001, 06:59 PM
mimi

We just did this trip in May though we landed in Budapest and flew out of Prague,between visited Salzburg and then Vienna. What is reasonable ? We decided to stay in 4 star hotels since these cities are not as expensive as the rest of Europe. We averaged about $100 a night for lovely hotels, breakfast and taxes included. We loved the small new Victoria in Budapest on the Buda side facing the Danube and the Chain Bridge. Each room,only 22, was large with a wall of windows facing the river. There were two restaurants that we liked near the hotel, the Garden of Paris and the Brussels Bistro. We also liked Lang's famous restaurant near the Museum of Fine Arts. Not his top restaurant but his more casual one with the outdoor dining also. Any guide book will give you the main sights such as the Royal Hill, the Pest side, a Danube river town, and be sure to go to the Gellert Baths. In Salzburg we stayed at the Elefant and had a small room but a great breakfast and location right in old town but on a quiet side street. This can be booked through Best WEstern. We took the tour of the lakes and countryside and really enjoyed the day. The hotel had a good restaurant and we also ate an excellent meal at the Blue Goose in Old Town. In Vienna we stayed in a large room also Best WEstern called Pension Arnsburg. Good location with the tram and subway near and could walk to the main church and through town. You must try a coffe shop such as Demels to try the pastry. As far as restaurants we followed Frommers and found reasonable restaurants within walking distance of the main street. I would visit Schonburg Palace and the Hapsburg Palace also. In Prague we splurged and stayed at the Meteor Plaza but there are cheaper hotels near the Charles Bridge on both sides. Check on the net or a good guide book. We loved Prague and went on a castle tour for the day. We could not believe that a whole day with a large lunch was only $40. a person. Cheaper than anywhere in Europe. There is a nice restaurant across from the Marriott near Old Town. It was in the basement and very cheap but not bad. We also found a Greek restaurant and a good Italian one down the block of the Republic also near Old Town. There are restaurants everywhere and our hotel had an excellent one also in the basement. Be sure to visit the Royal compound and buy the combination ticket to see everything. We also spent part of the day visiting the Jewish section, what is left has been made into museums. All these cities are easy to get around in with good public transportation, especially cheap in Budapest and Prague.
I hope that this helped.

Sep 2nd, 2001, 03:22 PM
Linda

You will enjoy all, but I think you don't have enough time for more than two cities. In Prague we stayed at Penzion Balbin near the Muzeum Metro & Wenceslas Sqaure, about 5-10 minutes walk to just about anywhere. It is on the top floors of an apartment building with locked door to outside so safe, is clean with shower & toilet in room, has good buffet breakfast and helpful English-speaking staff.
In Vienna, I stayed at Hotelpension Arenberg (Best Western), 4*, 24 rooms, with posh Vienna feel, nice served breakfast with some buffet & homemade muslei, very convenient to U-Bahn & Stephensplatz. I also stayed at Hotel Drei Kronen, 3*, about 3-minute walk to U-Bahn and 8 minutes to Opera with a nice outdoor market across the street, good buffet breakfast.
In Budapest we stayed with a couple, Dr. & Mrs. Walter Fleps. But I don't see how you can fit it in with the time you have.
In Vienna, I agree with Mimi as to coffee and torte at Demel's or sacher torte at the Sacher Hotel. Figlmuller's near Stephensplatz has good huge wienerschnitzel.
Check nethotels.com for all cities and www.avetravel.cz for Prague.

Sep 2nd, 2001, 04:30 PM
Figaro

I spent a week at the Nemzeti Hotel in Budapest. Very reasonable with clean, large rooms and a breakfast the likes of which I have never experienced in Europe. Extraordinary! It's located on Blaha Luja Square right next to a metro station and a bus stop. And it's an easy walk to city center.

Sep 4th, 2001, 02:14 AM
Mika

http://www.budapest-hotel.com/mercur...ates/rates.htm
= Hotel Nemzeti Budapest
http://hotel.source.cz/prague/cerna_liska/
=Cerna Liska in Prague ( situated on the main Square, next to the clock. Cute!!!!