Honeymoon in October

Search

Honeymoon in October

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in October

Is it unreasonable to consider the UK as a honeymoon destination for the last week and a half of October? We're having trouble deciding on a honeymoon spot and both really want to go to England. I've been to London a few years back, Fi's never been out of the country. We'd only have about 8 days, though, so how much of the country should we try and see? We'd like to see Stonehenge and probably a couple days in London. My grandfather was stationed in East Anglia during the war, so I'd love to make it up there just to see the town he was in. I've been searching through itineraries and will try to come up with something a bit more substantial. We're not expecting great weather, just hoping that many sites will still be open at that time of year. Any suggestions? We don't mind driving or taking trains...
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Major sites are open year round. Those that close for the winter tend to do so at the end of October, so you shouldn't miss out on much.
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:35 AM

How long after your wedding are you leaving for your honeymoon? I'm asking because our wedding was on a Saturday, we had events with our guests on Friday and Sunday and we left for our honeymoon on Monday. We spent a lot of time travelling around (basically, a tour of Spain and Portugal) and I was exhausted by the time we got back.

My recommendation would be to spend the first few days relaxing. With all the excitement of the wedding, the flight to London and adjusting to the time change, you need a few days just to rest your body.

If I could do it again, I would have seen less and stayed in one place for a longer time and done day trips.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:18 AM

My husband and I spent 2 weeks in London on our honeymoon- -it was perfect-it was also many years(sob sob) ago. We did all the sights, theater, Palladium, and side trips. go for it- and best wishes
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Wedding is on a Saturday, thought we'd leave on the following Monday to give us time to open and then pack up gifts and get home (wedding is about 3 hrs from where we now live). We need to be back within 9 days, max. because of work scheduling. We're torn between England and Canada. One minute we've decided-the next we're debating again! Fi's afraid that 9 days isn't enough to see much of England. I always counter with "there's NEVER enough time when you travel!"
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Your wedding weekend and leaving on the Monday sounds great. It's exactly what we did.

But like I said, you will probably be exhausted by Monday (on our wedding day, I was up at 6:30 am and didn't get to bed until 2:00 a.m., then we had a BBQ for all our guests at our place on Sunday), so wherever you decide to go, give yourself at least 2 days in the first location to rest up. It'll make the rest of your trip more enjoyable.

Canada would be a great destination for the end of October (I live in Ottawa, so I'm biased ). You'd be here for the fall colours and the weather is still quite nice. With the warmer temperatures we're experiencing nowadays, you could even get 15-20 C! Montreal/Quebec City would be great for a honeymoon, so would Vancouver (but it's likely to be more rainy there).

Good luck deciding!
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
October is a fine time to travel in the UK. It will likely be much warmer than most any part of Canada. 9 days would give you plenty of time to visit London (Stonehenge is an easy day trip from London) and maybe 2 or 3 days in East Anglia.

In what town was you grandfather stationed? Besides places connected to his war service - you could visit Cambridge and maybe a bit of the coast.