Honeymoon in Italy

Search

Honeymoon in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in Italy

Hi<BR><BR>My fiancee and I are trying to plan our honeymoon at the moment and one of the places we are considering is Italy.<BR>It will be in July 2004 and we'll be going for approx 3 weeks.<BR>Was wondering if anyone could give any ideas/advice about what regions of Italy would be nice at that time of year for our honeymoon?<BR>Obviously looking for romantic places that won't be too crowded even though it's the Summer.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Martin
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:14 AM

Most Italians take their vacation in August, so you may be able to avoid most of the crowds in July. For a honeymoon, I would look into the Amalfi Coast (Positano, Ravello) and Capri; The Lakes (Como, Maggiore); Sardinia; and the Italian Riviera (Portofino, Santa Margherita Ligure). Of course there are the cities of Rome, Florence and Venice but they will be crowded.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:43 AM

That is a big question with a wide range of good answers. Here is a menu to get you thinking. Given 3 weeks you can easily do 6 or 7 destinations. I would try to mix the cities with the natural spendor that is Italy. Try to include the Lakes as one choice--my favorite single location in Italy:<BR><BR>SO, YOU WANT TO SEE ITALY !<BR><BR>FIRST, GET A GOOD MAP ! Having planned more then sixty personalized itineraries to southern Europe and Italy, I have learned that the best trip plans start with a good map. It takes about six weeks to see most of Italy, and that does not include Sicily. So, any typical two week sojourn requires a geographic orientation and thoughtful<BR>planning to optimize the total experience. The temptation is to try to see too much, and that is a big mistake. My advice is to limit yourself to FIVE DESTINATIONS OR LESS for any two week itinerary. Perceive Italy as geographic regions and plan accordingly. Here is a menu to help you to plan well. Let your total time in Italy, and a good map, determine your feasible choices !<BR><BR> THE BEST DESTINATIONS IN ITALY---BY CATEGORY---NORTH TO SOUTH<BR><BR>REGIONS OF NATURAL SPLENDOR:<BR>1. The Lakes of Lombardy/Piedmonte [ Maggiore, Como, Lugano, Orta]<BR>2. The Dolomites/Lake Garda [ Cortina, Ortisei, Merano, Riva del Garda]<BR>3. The Ligurian Coast [ Portofino, Cinque Terre, Portovenere]<BR>4. Tuscany/ Umbria [ quaint and historic hill towns]<BR>5. The Amalfi Coast [ Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, Capri] <BR><BR>THE HISTORICAL ART CITIES:<BR>1. Venice &amp; Veneto [ allow 3 days---more if you include Vicenza, Verona et al]<BR>2. Florence [ it all happened here--plan for 2 days just in Florence]<BR>3. Siena [ deserves a full day, perhaps as a day trip from Florence]<BR>4. Rome [ the Eternal City demands 5 days---some would say two weeks]<BR><BR>ROMANTIC RESORT DESTINATIONS:<BR>1. Bellagio [ the best of Lago Como]<BR>2. Cortina [ the Vail of Italy--ski resort in heart of the Dolomites]<BR>3. Portofino/ Santa Margherita [ splendid sea-side venue]<BR> 4. Positano [ the best location to explore the Amalfi coast] <BR> 5. Taormina [ fabulous sea-side location in Sicily]<BR> 6. Ravello [ la dolce vita above the Amalfi coast]<BR> <BR> <BR><BR><BR> <BR> <BR><BR>
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:37 AM

Congrats! We went to Italy on our honeymoon a couple of weeks ago and it was great. I will caution you. Hotel staff is nice and accomodating, but every hotel where we stayed talked about how they dread the month of July because it is the most crowded in the larger cities and along the Amalfi coast. Just something to keep in mind.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Stay North. We are going to Italy for our honeymoon the end of June into July this year.<BR>Lake Como, Venice, Florence, Siena, Montalcino and surrounding hill towns, San Gimignano, Lucca, Cinque Terre. We fly in and out of Milan, that's where we got the best deal. Get some travel books, research this site, check out ricksteves.com etc. We're going for 14 days. If I had the 3rd wk I'd add Zurich or Umbria. Avoid Rome in the heat and save Rome/Amalfi Coast for another trip. COngrats!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Christm- you must go to the Amalfi Coast &amp; Venice, the 2 most romantic places in Italy-<BR>fallow one of Bob's itineraries, he's a pro.<BR>Many Congrats.<BR>la dolce vita<BR>Fluffy
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 01:53 AM

Wherever you go in Italy, unless the countryside, it will be busy in July but you will always find places to wander away from the touristy places! Italy is busy nearly all year round with visitors - its such a magnificant place. I have been totally hooked since going there 4 years ago. Now been to Rome, Florence, Venice, Verona, Dolomites, Lake Garda, Tuscany, Amalfi Coast.<BR>On reading this site, Bob the Navigator seems to be &quot;the expert&quot; on Italy - you wont go wrong with his advice - take advice on board, buy one book on Italy, go to your local library and then make up your own mind. A must is the Amalfi Coast (especially Ravello or Positano for romance) Sorrento - very touristy. Venice - a must - at least 2 days!! So romantic. All the best.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi<BR><BR>Thanks for the advice so far<BR>Anyone know of any really special romantic hotels/b&amp;b's/apartments to stay in any of the locations already mentioned?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Martin
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:32 AM

Martin, Decide your itinerary before you start to shop hotels. This is Italy--there are dozens of romantic places to stay. And, decide your budget range for hotels--that will determine options. You can look at slowtrav.com to find a budget article that may help you to plan. For now, stay big picture. You will have lots of time for details.