Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in December - advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:41 AM
Darlene

My fiance and I are going to be married in late December. We thought the holiday season would be a romantic time to tie the knot, however, this is normally not the "ideal" time to travel. I am wondering if anyone could help me with the places we are considering.<BR><BR>Between Ireland, the English countryside, and S. Germany/Switzerland. Recommendations for that time of year? What should I expect with weather, open sites, etc? <BR><BR>ps - we don't ski

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:49 AM
xxx

anyone?

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:56 AM
xxx

I've been to Ireland and Scotland in early January. It was a bit nippy in terms of weather. But having the tourist sites to myself was wonderful! No lines to wait in and everyone was so happy to see any tourists. The storekeepers gave us great deals. <BR><BR>Dublin is always a fun party town. Edinburgh is so romantic anytime of year. In the winter there is a ice rink in the center of town, right below the Edinburgh Castle. <BR><BR>The Highlands were gorgeous, with a light dusting of snow. Nothing quite like a hot cocoa in an old Scottish pub with bagpipes being played out on the street. And the pasteries were surprisingly wonderful in Scotland.<BR><BR>And I'd add a few days in London, so you could take in some theater.

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:04 AM
elvira

December is cold in northern Europe and the British Isles. I don't think the countryside would be much fun (snowy, wet, cold, damp most likely), so stick to cities - Dublin, London, Edinburgh, etc. You could do a day trip or two into the countryside from there if you wanted. Switzerland would be a bit different from that, as the Alpine villages are geared for apres skiers - lots of little shops, concerts, etc. Or stay in one of the cities like Zurich, and take daytrips into the Alps and around the lakes.<BR><BR>In the cities, things will be open, although some with shorter hours. Swiss villages near ski areas will be open and in full swing. Don't know about English countryside opening hours, but I'd suspect the "outdoor" sites would either be closed or with severely limited hours.

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:11 AM
Dennis Leary

Darlene, why not look into warmer parts of Europe such as Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey?

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:15 AM
Darlene

Well I have thought about Greece Dennis but I am uncertain whether the islands would be much fun in the winter.<BR><BR>I would think that quaint towns decorated for christmas would at least fit the bill instead of cold, deserted, windswept islands?

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:32 AM
Alec

Is Darlene contradicting herself? Your choices are very cold during the winter. Which part of that do you not understand, Darlene? Christmas decorations will be found at all Christian cities throughout Europe. It sounds as though you prefer snow & cold weather. Why don't you just go to the Pocono's!

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:20 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Barbados ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:04 PM
Darlene

Alec, Perhaps you have misunderstood what I am saying. <BR>I enjoy snow, the christmas season, yadda yadda yadda! I know MOST do not consider this to be the ideal time of year to travel to Europe. I would like to know which of the following is most ideal for a "wonderful" christmas/winter destination. <BR>Take your medication Alec; how does someone get so irritated about a ? like the one I asked? Really seek theraputic help!

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:08 PM
Darlene

Simply put, I am saying that it IS the christmas season and I want to spend my honeymoon in a festive christmas environment NOT on a typically warm weather destination. I have always wanted to go to Greece but b/c of the islands. Two problems, why would I go to the greek isl in the winter and over christmas I would prefer a place with more christmas spirit.