HONEYMOON: Greek Isles or African Safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and i have been researching different areas of the world for our honeymoon. We are both well traveled (Brazil, italy, spain, france, thailand, south africa, kenya, india, switzerland, hawaii, etc to name a few) But we are having trouble deciding on a honeymoon destination.

We have narrowed it down to the Greek Islands (Athens and the cyclades) and Eastern Africa safari/beach combo (tanzania/zanzibar or kenya). I considered botswana and the southern africa area, but i realize i'd get more bang for my buck in the Kenya/Tanzania area.

We are active and the mid 20's and both want some beach time(incl. watersports), some adventure, beautiful scenery and culture. We are going early september, so the weather is great in greece, and the game viewing is superb in africa...so that doesn't make our decision for us...

We'd probably be able to stay in some of the nicer hotels in greece, and moderately priced "tented safari lodges" and beach retreats in africa.
can anyone help give me some pros and cons or opinions? Thanks!

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:05 AM

bethsprack,

Just wondering if you have yet discovered Zambia as a safari destination. It would be fabulous in September and would be more moderately priced than either South Africa or Botswana, possibly allowing you to stay at luxury lodges/camps rather than at tented accomodations in East Africa.

Here are my top two recommendations for Zambia:

www.luangwariverlodge.com
www.chiawa.com

I have been to the Greek Isles, on my own honeymoon five years ago, but there is nothing quite like a luxury African safari and Zambia would be a wonderful choice.

The owners of Luangwa River Lodge, Barry & Tara, are a very nice younger (32 years old) couple that traded in all of their chips, sold everything they owned and built the most fantastic lodge in Zambia.

As far as tented accomodations go in Zambia, Chiawa is the finest on offer and enjoys an unbeatable location on the Zambezi River.

Feel free to e-mail me if you would like any additional feedback on Zambia. I have been visited Zambia for each of the last three years and I have made many excellent contacts.

It would be possible to combine Zambia with Mozambique, Seychelles or Zanzibar for a great safari/beach combination.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Well, first of all many congratulations on your forthcoming marriage, and all the best wishes for a long and happy life together.

I went to Kenya for my honeymoon in 1986. We had 3 weeks so decided to fly directly to Mombasa, spend a week on the beach relaxing - what few people realise is that you spend so much time planning and focussing on getting the wedding absolutely perfect, that afterwards you come down off that 'high' and are totally exhausted and really need some quiet time to settle down. After a week doing very little except lie in the sun, swim, and sleep, we were ready for a week's safari, and this was followed by another week back at the hotel on the beach, but this time more active. We went deep sea fishing from Malindi, we rented a car for a couple of days and explored the coast, and went on a trip or two from the hotel (crocodile farm and some fabulous ruins).

We stayed at Whitesands on Bamburi Beach, which was at that time 'old colonial' and we loved it as it was old fashioned (I spent a few years of my early childhood in Kenya) and we much preferred it to the 'modern' block hotels that were based closer to Mombasa that we visited when we had the car.

But all that was 20 years ago now and all has changed very much over there. I read somewhere that Whitesands has been modernised. Have you posted on the Africa forum? Many people there can tell you much, much more.

With regard to the Greek islands, I have only been to some of the Ionian isles, and they are truly lovely.

Greece or Kenya? I would have to say I'd choose Kenya....
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:18 AM

I honeymooned in Greece for two weeks-- 8 years and 2 kids ago. I am afraid I can't compare it to Africa as I have never been (although it is on my list). I can say that we loved every second of it, as it provided the perfect combination of adventure and relaxation. We are not "beach" people per se and found loads to do that was interesting and adventurous (although probably nothing of an adventure compared to Africa). That said, I have yet to see a more beautiful beach or sunset than I saw in the Greek Isles. (Hawaii comes close but is very different.) Everyone talked about the color of the ocean and sky before we went, how it was so blue, and I have to admit it is really spectacular.

Anyway, if you choose Greece, I would be happy to provide some great honeymoon locations, hotels, etc. We went to Santorini and Mykonos (and Athens).

Congrats and good luck!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:22 AM

I would have to choose Kenya as well. If you plan to do the beach thing, go to Lamu, not Mombasa.