Search

safari honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safari honeymoon

I have a big problem in finding just the right honeymoon.I have never been to africa and we want to find the right lodge in the right country in september.We want to stay 8-10 days in one single place.We are looking for a luxury lodge as it is our honeymoon.After the safari trip we also want to take a week for relaxing in seychelles or mauritius.But is it the right weather in september?I would be gratefull for any adwise!Thank you.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM
santharamhari

mimi_b,

Congratulations!!! For a September safari, some great honey moon options would be:

In Botswana:

Mombo or Little Mombo
Kings Pool
Vumbura Plains

Mombo would be a great destination for a 8-10 night stay, but, they get booked up a year in advance.....so contact your travel agent to see if you can get a few nights between the three camps i mentioned. The transfers between the three camps are only about a half hour max in light aircraft.....so i recommend you get with the booking asap.

Kings Pool area will be full of action in Sept. Vumbura will be good also. Check out Atravelynn's trip report from Vumbura from 2006. Just do a search in the search box.

Rgds,
Hari

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 05:04 AM
sandi

September is also the ideal place to be in Kenya for the wildebeest migration. Honestly though, 8-10/days in one place, if not having been on safari before and knowing what to expect and specific places to be, might night be ideal for a honeymoon - one-place the entire time, that is.

There are a number of lovely camps in various areas that offer romantic get-aways in addition to safari activities.

You can certainly split your time between 2-3 areas, and still enjoy some of that in the midst of the migration.

There's Kampi ya Kanzi in Tsavo; Elsa's in Meru; Loisaba and Starbeds in Laikipia; Shompole* in Shompole; lots of choices in the Mara - Bateleur, Saruni, Ol Seki, Cottar's.

*probably the most romantic, largest rooms, own pool, privacy (thouh less game viewing than elsewhere).

Three or four days at 2 or 3 of the above, would provide you with a rounded feel for the country, game viewing (or why else visit this area of Africa), privacy and attention. Romantic places abound worldwide.

If not to Mauritius or Seychelles, there is Alfajiri at Diani near Mombasa, coastal Kenya, or in Tanzania, Mnemba Island, or The Palms on Tanzania, proper.

Can't comment on Mauritius, but it's easier to get to the Seychelles from Kenya. At the Seychelles, for lux and privacy, there is North or Fregate Islands, both single resort islands; both very expensive, but certainly private and romantic.

As mentioned above, space is bookinng and closing fast, so if interested in either southern or eastern Africa, I suggest you decide soon.

Hope this helps.

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for answering.I did't know very much about safaris but i read your replies and more trip reports and i am still reading a lot about kind of trips.I live in Romania and almost all travel agents in my city haven't sold more than one or two trips like this a year.So they are not very informed.So all your adwises are helping me a lot.My travel agent sent me 2 options as i didn't get to ask her about your botswana or kenya options yet.What do you think about big five serenade or masai mara serena?6 nights-3 meals a day and transfers for 2 people 3400 euro?or 7 nights at big night serenade at 4200?this is without the plane ticket.I will take your adwise and quit the ideea with one place at the entire time.I hope it will not be too late for reservation untill i decide...Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Hello Mimi_b

Sorry to hear you're having problems finding a travel agent who knows Africa well. I'd second Hari's recommendation of Botswana - small intimate camps and superb game-viewing.

Another superb option in Southern Africa would be South Africa. You could split your time between two lodges like Singita and Phinda, which are in different areas of the country with different habitats:

http://www.singita.com

http://www.phinda.com

It would be easy to connect to either Mauritius or the Seychelles from Johannesburg, which is the hub for Southern Africa. I'd agree with Sandi on the recommendations of Fregate or North Island in the Seychelles:

http://www.north-island.com

I like North Island because there's more to do than just lay on the beach, which might get a bit boring with an entire week there.

In Mauritius, you may want to look at Le Prince Maurice or the One and Only Le Saint-Geran.

I've stayed in some of the Serena lodges, and to be honest I'm not a huge fan of them -- too much like a hotel rather than a safari camp. There are small camps as Sandi mentioned but your agent may not have heard of them if he or she doesn't do a lot of trips to Africa.

Good luck planning your trip!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:57 AM
sandi

You are looking for a luxury property, yet the Serena lodges your agent submitted are anything but luxury. But, everyone's idea of luxury will vary greatly.

So your budget would help. Those that Julian and I mention are quite expensive, ranging from about $400 to $1200/person/nt. Kenya being somewhat less expensive than Botswana or South Africa. Multiply those numbers by 10/days, then add Seychelles accommodations in the $1500/person/nt (North or Fregate Islands) will give you an idea of what luxury will cost you.

And, those prices don't include inter-country flights - to/from one area to another - let along flights between countries.

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:37 AM

mimi_b: all wonderful recommendations above and as Sandi points out those are really the top of the top. There are varying degrees of luxury and if you can provide a rough budget I'm sure you will receive help to find the best options at whatever price.

Along those lines I would urge you to find an agent/operator who is an expert in these areas. Obviously this type of trip is a huge investment and a special time for you and you don't want to rely on guesswork. With the internet it is very easy to find and work with excellent, reputable assistance from a far and there are many people using agents that are no where near their location.