Holyhead, Wales ferry to Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin? Just wondering if it's usually a smooth or rough crossing.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM

We did it in April a few years ago. It was very smooth. But I guess that can always change.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 12:40 AM

I've done it three times and not had a rough crossing so far.
If you take the fast boat, you don't have long to suffer even if it is rough.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:31 AM

Depends a lot on times of the year. Winter months plus early spring can have some rough seas, and the crossing can be unpleasant. In extremely bad weather, first the fast ferries, and then conventional ferris, get cancelled. Summer months are generally fine, but you can't rule out odd rough seas/crossings.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:02 AM

Did it in November, I am a VERY bad boat traveller, and didn't find it bad at all. We took the fast boat over and the slow boat back and I did find the slow boat more pleasant and less rocky.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. I know of course that it depends on the weather, but some places are always rocky regardless of conditions. I'm traveling with 40 students and just wanted all of us to be prepared, if necessary.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:08 AM

If it's really bad the ferries won't go. I don't know about all the ferries, but most are fairly large so I doubt you'll experience any problems.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:19 AM

I did it ten years ago in September with a group of university students. The professor with us (she was definitely a mother hen) practically force fed us all Dramamine. I really don't think it was necessary, though - the ride was smooth and I think the only effect it had was to make us all reaaallly sleepy. Though maybe that was the effect she was going for.

If you have students who are very prone to motion sickness, you might suggest that they bring some meds just in case, but I would have been just fine without (I don't generally get sea/air/carsick).
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:46 AM

Consider ULYSSES, the Holyhead to Dublin ferry, one of the biggest in the world. It is very rarely cancelled due to bad weather.See www.irishferries.ie for a panoramic tour.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 12:58 AM

The irish Ferries 'Swift' fast ferry is notorious for being cancelled due to poor weather,but the Ulysses conventional ship can handle almost anything, and being one of the largest ferries in the world is very steady. She's a really plush ship, too, a favourite of mine.

Tip - don't forget there are amazing cheap combined train & ferry tickets from London (Euston station) or any station in Britain to Dublin for just £30.50, city centre to city centre. I've put details and timetables on www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm. They seem to be a well-kept secret, and as well as being a bargian, the scenic run along the north wales coast (with laptop sockets and on board WiFi on Virgin Trains 09:10 from London to Holyhead) is great.

Another tip, £14.50 supplement paid on board gets you into the Ulysses Club Lounge, with free tea & coffee, complimentary red and white wine, cheese & biscuits and smoked salmon canapes, with a fabulous forward view of the Irish coast approaching (the lounge has a forward view from above the ship's bridge).