Search

Holyhead, Wales

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holyhead, Wales

Any suggestions for an 8 hr or less day trip from Holyhead, Wales in Aug. Have a one day cruise stop.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:47 AM
AR

Travel down to Llanfair PG to see the longest placename in the world (ok, so it was invented for the tourists), then cross the Menai Bridge and visit Caernarfon for one of the best and most complete castles in Britain. It is here that the Prince of Wales has his investiture (Prince Charles and Edward VIII before him. I think I'm right in saying that Edward VII was "done" here as well).
If you then have time (and transport) then visit the Snowdonia national park and the famous mountain, Yr Wyddfa - the second highest in Britain, and highest in Wales.
All this depends on you having transport. If you rely on the rail then you could visit Chester for the day - a very worthwhile city to visit, and one often overlooked on this site.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 12:34 PM

Caernarfon and Chester suggested by above are good suggestion. Chester is on the Train route, frequent trains depart about every half an hour from Holyhead, takes about 1 3/4 hours.

To Caernarfon, you have to change bus at Bangor(30 minutes train from Holyhead).

Conwy on train route (1 hour) is another fine castle to visit. If you are interested in garden, Bonand Gardens nesrby (20 minutes by bus) is one of the most beautiful in the world.

Plas Newydd Garden (15 minutes ride from Bangor)is another site worth a visit, offers magnificent view of the strait and well-kept woodland park.

If you stopover in Bangor for bus, don't miss the Cathedral, it is the smallest and the longest continous used cathedral in U.K.

For train schedule,please check www.thetrainline.com.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:19 PM

What are your interests Bills?
Chartered buses meet these cruise ships and whilst I am not sure where they go I suspect it is to Caernarfon taking in Llanfairpwll on the way.If you don't want to do that then tell us what sort of thing you'd like to do and I'll try and oblige.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:28 PM

We will also be stopping on a cruise at Holyhead on Aug. 19. Are you on the Princess cruise? Would like to share information.