Reload this Page >

Historical Gravesites

Search

Historical Gravesites

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 06:26 AM
Joanne

Historical Gravesites

One travel tip I haven't seen is the "Find a Grave" website. www.findagrave.com <BR> <BR>This site can be searched by country, and tells you where famous people are buried. So when you visit Le Pere Lachais in Paris, you can find the graves of Balzac, Chopin, Sarah Bernhardt, Jim Morrison and Marcel Proust. The Santa Croce Church in Florence contains the remains of Galileo, Machiavelli, and Michelangelo. You can even find the graves of Napoleon's dog and horse (which are buried in the same general location, a nice touch, I thought). <BR> <BR>Wherever you go, photograph any famous graves that are not listed on the site, and record the epitaph, and submit it to Find-A-Grave. <BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 12:38 PM

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 02:54 PM
tina

Who has visited Pere Lachaise? What are the highlights? What is in the area for lunch or other sightseeing?

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 05:10 PM
Lynn

To Ann: <BR>The graves Joanne listed plus Oscar Wilde, Edith Piaf...... <BR>I loved just wandering around the cemetary looking at the amazing architecture or some of the crypts. Beautiful and serene and if I had a choice I would put myself there or in Highgate in London. <BR>There are lots of cafes just outside the main gates to the cemetary. I found them rather pricey but then what isn't in Paris. I love it!

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 06:40 PM
Daniel Fusco

I visited Le Pere Lachais in Paris, and maybe I'm warped, but it was one of the most interesting places I visited while in Paris. I wanted to see Jim Morrison's grave, and all that goes with it, so we wandered through this huge cemetery for what seemed like miles. We couldn't seem to find Jim Morrison's grave - until I noticed some graffiti on a grave we were approaching. The graffiti said "Jim --&gt;" <BR> <BR>We continued following these helpful graffiti arrows through the cemetery, and as we came closer to Jim's grave, there was noticably more and more graffiti. It was an interesting site, with quite an interesting crowd hanging out, smoking, drinking and meditating - really. It's worth the visit.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 09:41 PM
elvira

<BR>Tina: Pere Lachaise maps are available from many of the cafes just outside the main gates; you can also buy one from the caretaker's office. Mine is 11 years old; fortunately, nobody moves from year to year. Edith Piaf, Gertrude Stein, Alice B Toklas, Modigliani, Chopin, Heloise and Abelard, Simone Signoret, Yves Montand, Oscar Wilde...and Jim. <BR> <BR>The whole cemetery is a nice oasis from the hurly-burly of Paris; even the headstones and vaults of 'unknowns' are fascinating - there's a book called something like "permanent residents of paris" that gives details and pictures. The memorials for each of the death camps are musts. Wear really good walking shoes; most of the 'streets' are ankle-busting cobblestones (which are swept with twig brooms [are those called 'besoms'?]). Be respectful; it's a cemetery, and there are sometimes burials/funerals going on. You're in Menilmontant, the birthplace of Maurice Chevalier and Edith Piaf (there's a museum dedicated to her in the 'hood - it's in a fan's apartment, by appointment only). The area is definitely working class, with lots of North African immigrants, so the markets are wows and if you're in the mood for tagine... There aren't tourist attractions in the area, but a wander through the streets is wonderful - few tourists, just locals out for their daily shopping and such. <BR> <BR>And has anybody found Maria Callas in the vaults around the crematorium?? Six pairs of eyes couldn't find her. <BR> <BR>There's also the cemetery in Montmartre and Monparnasse for more celebs. <BR> <BR>Outside of Paris is the Russian cemetery in Ste Genevieve des Bois where Nureyev is buried under a spectacular tombstone. Max Gorky is there too (you can get a map at the office, no one speaks English, and Nureyev is pronounced "nooreef" if you ask for directions). <BR> <BR>Don't miss the Deportation Memorial at the eastern end of the Ile de la Cite.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 03:45 AM
Paige

I think the book Elvira was referring to is called Permanent Parisians. It makes the cemetaries even more interesting when you can read about the residents' lives. Pere LaChais is definitely a cool place to wander around. I found the cemetary at Montparnasse to be a little disappointing after Pere, so go there first!

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 07:32 AM
Beth

Hi, <BR> <BR>I was the one who brought it to the top. <BR>I wasn't going to comment, I just thought it was a neat little tip and thought others may find it interesting. <BR> <BR>I didn't know it would generate actual RESPONSES so I'll put my little story in... <BR> <BR>Many years ago, on a solo trip backpacking around Europe... I made a specific trip to Pere Lachaise to get some wax/charcoal rubbings of Jim Morrison's headstone. As it happened I forgot the wax at home, so I had to do a search of the various artstores and I found some charcoal to do the trick. (it was fun trying to explain in French to the store owners what I intended to do. I think they thought I was a little daffy). <BR> <BR>ANYWAY - I made my way there, art supplies in tow... not knowing how big the headstone was, I had a fairly huge amount of rolled up paper-in-a-tube... <BR> <BR>The gendarme there cast a jaundiced eye on my whole project (it was CROWDED) until I explained to him what I wanted to do - he found me a spot to cut the paper to size (it is a LARGE headstone, for any of you all planning to do this too - just so you know). I'll look up the dimensions if anyone is REALLY interested. <BR> <BR>anyway... that done - I realized SMACK I forgot to bring tape. Big headstone - need some way to hold down the paper. oops. <BR> <BR>a young man of maybe 16 stepped foward, grabbed the other end - and the gendarme let us take our turn - we quickly did a rubbing, then he shooed us to the side to let others come closer. Once that group had left, he let me approach to do another, then others took their turn to look. and so on - until I had about 7 rubbings. It took a while, but it was worth it! I got a lot of compliments from people while I was there doing it - it is still a very fond memory. <BR> <BR>What cooperation too - the gendarme made sure I could get in close without being disturbed, and the young guy helped me out too (and even helped me wash my hands after - talk about sooty! someone had to pour the water... <BR> <BR>anyway, there you have it. I still smile when I think of this memory or look at the photos... <BR> <BR>Beth <BR> <BR>ps. another funny note - I lived with that packing tube with my "artwork" for a whole month. I was backpacking, and eurailing it - pretty much any picture you see of me in full backpack mode - has me holding that darn tube.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 07:59 AM
herself

Thank you Joanne for another fun website. I went to Pere Lachaise last month with my two sisters. We saw the graves of all mentioned above. But then we came across Victor Noir. A beautiful young man with a much rubbed spot on his trousers. I later found he had been shot by the husband who found him with his wife. Victor ordered to be pictured as he was on his grave. I was able to find a picture of his grave on your mentioned site. My favorite grave was Abelard and Heloise. (Are we a lttle sick finding this cemetery to be a favorite spot in Paris?)

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 08:26 AM
elaine

Dear herself <BR>Another Heloise and Abelard fan! <BR>Did you ever go visit their houses on Quai aux Fleurs, behind Notre Dame? <BR>There are bas-reliefs of them over the doorways.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 11:32 AM
herself

Oh dear! No matter how many times I go to France, I always come home to find out what I missed. Thank you Elaine, I have placed Quai aux Fleurs in my "Next Time" file. <BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 11:56 AM
elaine

I should have mentioned that the buildings are #9 and #11, Quai aux Fleurs, along the river, just north of Notre Dame.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Maira

Am I the only one that has been to the Pantheon in Paris??!! You'll think so as none of you Paris fans have even hinted to it!!??? <BR> <BR>The Pantheon, across from the Sorbonne Library on the 5th Arrd., is where the REALLY great men (and one woman) of Paris are buried. A walk downstairs to the crypts will bring you to the final resting place of Voltaire, Pierre & Marie Currie, Louis Braille, Mirabeau, Jules Verne, Rousseau, Victor Hugo, Balzac, Flaubert, Proust, Emile Zola, Jean Moulin (hero of the French Resistance WWII), and Soufflot (its architect), among others. <BR> <BR>Just a short walk from the metro station Cardinal Lemoine.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Topper

For the lady who is looking for what-his-name grave.