Search

Killorglin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 01:14 PM
pamr

Killorglin

Can anyone tell me the approximate driving times from Killorglin ( or Killarney) to: <BR>the Burren <BR>Beara Penninsula <BR>Bantry <BR>Waterford City <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 10:17 AM
Edmond O`Flaherty

Travelling in Ireland is not the same as in the U.S.There are few interstate/motorways and none at all where you are going.Allow plenty of time for stopping off at ancient historical sights you are likely to see on the way. <BR>The places you mention are not far apart but allow 4-5 hours for The Burren <BR>via Limerick and a little less if you take the Tarbert Ferry across the Shannon.The start of the Beara Peninsula will take about one and a half hours via Killarney but 2-3 hours via Cahirciveen along the Ring of Kerry..Bantry will take about an extra half an hour.Waterford City will take perhaps 3-4 hours.

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 12:36 PM
pamr

Edmond, thanks. We were in Cromane Upper in June 1999 - loved it so much we want to return this summer. We would like to branch out a bit maybe and see some new places , although we would be perfectly happy revisiting the same places we did in 1999. Thanks again.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 05:25 PM
pamr

Edmond - which would you prefer - the B;askets or the Skelligs as a day trip ( something tells me we will end up doing both...)

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Edmond O`Flaherty

I have been on the Skelligs but I have looked at the Blaskets only from the shore.Despite that I think it has to be the Skelligs without any doubt.I have travelled a good deal of the world from Cape Town to L.A. and the day I visited the Skelligs will always be one I shall cherish.The top of the Skelligs has several beehive huts which were abandoned by the monks around the year 1000 (after about 400 years on the rock which is over 500 feet high).It is a place for sophisticated people who have an interest in ancient history and archeology.You need a fine day to appreciate it when the wind is not too strong and you need to be in reasonable health to make the climb.I suggest you visit the Interpretation Centre at the entrance to Valentia Island on the previous day.Ireland of course has hundreds of buildings over 1000 years old-I have visited a lot of them myself.The oldest building I have seen and perhaps the most famous is Newgrange,a sort of small pagan church in the shape of a mound.It is about 4000 years old and is only 30 miles from Dublin near Drogheda.Itis still waterproof after all those years.It is booked out for the rest of this year for tour buses but if you go there early in the day you will probably get in.