Historic London Pubs

Feb 20th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Historic London Pubs

Part of the fun of going to London, or the UK in general is going to pubs! But besides the often amicable local pub, it's the really old historic pubs that are fun to track down - where centuries of quaffing ale and beer have gone on and famous folks have patronized. In this i'll relay some research i'm doing for my next historic pub crawl and i'd like to hear about others as well!

YE OLDE COCK TAVERN; 22 Fleet St' EC4
'The Cock' was first built in 1549 and survived the Great Fire of 1666. Out front a gilded cock done by the master carver to Charles II symbolizes the pub's name. Inside there is a fancy Tudor chimney piece. Former patrons include Sheridan, Garrick and Goldsmith as well as other literari types, including Samuel Pepys, who used the pub as a rendezvous with the acctress Mrs Knipp as mentioned in his diary entry for Apr 23, 1668. Charles Dickens was drawn here for the same reason today's tourists are - its associations with literary types long gone - he was supposedly a regular and it's said he had his last public dinner here. Tennyson was also a Cock denizen - he even wrote a poem about it:
O pump head-waiter at the Cock.
To which i resort,
How goes the time? Tis five o'clock
Go fetch a pint of port.

NEXT THE PROSPECT OF WHITBY, London's oldest riverside pub
Feb 20th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

THE PROSPECT OF WHITBY
57 Wapping Wall London E1
London's oldest riverside pub, dating from 1520 - traditionally a sailor's pub - until 1777 called the Devil's Tavern because of links with smugglers -changed name in to honor a ship called Prospect that once moored nearby and was built in Whitby.
the pub's patio is known for its view of Execution Dock across the Thames where pirates were hung in chains until three tides washed over them - Capt Kidd was strung up there - it's said that the Hanging Judge Jeffries used the pub's terrace to watch his executions. In olden days there was cockfighting and bare knuckle fighting held here. Pepys used to hang out here when he was a secretary for the Navy and one room of the upstairs restaurant today is named for him.
NEXT: THE TRAFALGAR TAVERN
Feb 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM

This is great stuff PalQ! I've wanted a list of such pubs for my next visit (beyond Old Cheshire Cheese?) and you've started it with two I'd like to visit...more please!
Feb 20th, 2006, 11:17 AM
oldie

There's the George Inn
in Borough High Street

It's the only surviving galleried coaching inn in London

Feb 20th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Michel - merci pour les bons mots!
THE TRAFALGAR TAVERN
Park Row, Greenwich SE10

Once called the Old George, the Trafalgar Tavern is of course a monument to Admiral Nelson who died during his most glorious victory at the Battle of Trafalgar (recently reenacted off the spanish-african coast i think).
anyway old Nelson's body was brought to Greenwich to lie in state before burial and the pub was renamed in his honor. the pub building is splenrous and elegant. Later Charles Dickens and Disraeli and his Cabinet would often come here for the traditional whitebait suppers made from fish caught in the Thames - these traditional whitebait dinners are still served in the pub today. Francis chicester's yacht Gypsy Moth is dry docked near the pub. Like most riverside pubs there is a nice outdoor terrace for river-watchers.
Feb 20th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

NEXT: ANOTHER HISTORIC GREENWICH WATERING HOLE - THE YACHT
Feb 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM

How 'bout the " Hung, Drawn and Quartered " close to the Tower

Nice story . .

Feb 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM

...don't forget the "10 Bells" pub...it is where some of the prostitutes killed by Jack the Ripper used to hang out...
Feb 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM

The Lamb and Flag in Rose St, Covent Garden - a hangout of Dryden and Rochester. (I'm afraid the Prospect of Whitby has been a bit of a disappointment for me, in terms of service and what's on offer there now).
Feb 20th, 2006, 03:21 PM
P_M

10 Bells Pub--been there, done that, got the T-shirt!! (really, I did buy the T-shirt ) I'll be in town in April, I'll have to look into some of these other pubs.
Feb 21st, 2006, 06:09 AM
tod

Does anone know if The Blind Beggar Pub in Whitechapel Road in London's East End is still around?
Feb 21st, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

For the Prospect of Whitby the following site has more info:

PUBS.COM Pub Guide - Prospect of Whitby London E1pubs.com Homepage ...known as Devils Tavern.. PROSPECT of WHITBY, LONDON E1W 3SH, 57 Wapping Wall. MAP link Good Beer Food disabled not wc function room ...
www.pubs.com/prose1
Feb 21st, 2006, 07:03 AM

The Dove, Lower Mall, Hammersmith (Ravenscourt Park tube). Previously a coffee house frequented by Johnson & Boswell - hasn't changed much either IMO.
Feb 21st, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

DIRTY DICKS PUB
202 Bishopsgate, EC2; opposite Liverpool Street Station near Petticoat Lane market

What: The present pub, supposed to be part of the old house concerned, owes its name to an 18th-century tragedy. Nathaniel Bentley, a wealthy dandy, heard of the death of his bride-to-be on the day they were to celebrate their engagement (or the day before their wedding, depending on who is telling the story). He was so distraught that, from then on he took no care of his appearance or of his house, and became known as ‘Dirty Dick’.

It is suggested that Charles Dickens based his character Miss Haversham in Great Expectations on Nathaniel. He neither washed nor changed his clothes. When his cats died, he just left them where they fell.

When he died, the landlord of this pub either bought the contents of his house or converted the house (stories vary) and put the contents (including the dead cats) on display at the aptly named 'Dirty Dick's' pub.

Unfortunately, environmental health decided in the mid 1980's that a clean up was in order and most of the dirty artifacts were cleared away.

(The above is copied from London Pub web sites - I did not write this one but mention Dirty Dicks because when i visited it in the 80s there were still the remains of a mummified cat and skeletons of mice in a showcase by the rear stairs. Some sources say these relics are all the remains of the original clutter environmental laws deemed should be cleared out. I haven't visited the pub since and wonder if at least the mummy cat and skeletal mice are still there. Anyway a neat old pub.)

NEXT: THE YACHT AS PROMISED BEFORE!
Feb 21st, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

BLIND BEGGAR PUB - to answer tod's question:
From Wikipedia
The Blind Beggar, a pub located at 337 Whitechapel Road, Whitechapel, London, is notorious for its connection to East End gangsters, the Kray Twins. On 9 March 1966, Ronnie Kray shot and murdered George Cornell, an associate of a rival gang, as he was sitting at the bar. The pub is also a popular starting point for the Monopoly Pub Crawl, despite being located on the board's third space.
NEXT: THE YACHT AS PROMISED BEFORE AND BEFORE!
Feb 21st, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

For more details about the Trafalgar Tavern mentioned above:
The Trafalgar Tavern, Park Row, Greenwich, London, SE10 9NW : The ...Description of The Trafalgar Tavern, Park Row, Greenwich, London, SE10 9NW.
www.english-restaurants.com/ english/areas/restaurant.asp?classID=88

Trafalgar TavernRestaurant and bar on the Thames. Includes menus, photos.
www.trafalgartavern.co.uk
Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

THE YACHT PUB
Crane St Greenwich SE10
Another historic Greenwich pub, the Yacht, which for 300 years has stood in the shadows of the Royal Naval College, even when the college was a royal palace. during QEI's long reign the pub was a favorite watering hole of the queen's household staff and for royal naval sailors. Near the Yacht is the famous Cutty Sark, the fastest sailing ship of its day - the TGV of ships.
An oddity in the pub - the Greenwich Meridian line runs smack thru the pub - this line of longitude is what the world uses to measure its timekeeping, forming the basis of Greenwich Mean Time. And i think separating the eastern and western hemispheres, which you can straddle in the pub.
Right opposite the pub on the other side of The Thames is the Isle of Dogs, whose name comes from the fact that the royal kennels were once there and the constant yelping of dogs is what is said to give the name of the Isle of Dogs to the area.
NEXT: THE STAG, one of London's most unusual pubs.
Feb 24th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

THE STAG
Bressenden Place London SW1
One of London's most unusual pubs, The Stag was built in the style of a traditional brewery gatehouse, not surprising since it was once a part of the now demolished Stag Brewery. The Stag brewhouse existed at least since 1641 in Westminster, later evolving into the Watney brewery. The brewery closed in 1959 but the flagship pub remains and, along with a magnificent statue of a stag out in the adjacent Stag Place is the only reminded of the old brewery. Located near Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral and Parliament, a bit of R&R in the pub is convenient for many tourists.
NEXT: THE TEA CLIPPER
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:00 AM

ttt
Feb 27th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

THE TEA CLIPPER PUB
19 Montpelier St London SW7 (Knightsbridge)
One of London's most unique looking pubs, The Tea Clipper is built in the style of an old tea clipper, with brass rails, creaky floors, etc. the pub occupies part of the old grounds of the home of an infamous Speaker of the House of Commons, Sir John Trevor, notorious for bribery and corruption.
NEXT THE GRENADIER in Belgravia

Search this Thread