Hilton Eiffel or Hilton Arc de Triomphe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering staying at either of the two Hiltons- Eiffel Tower or Arc de Triomphe- and wonder which is more convenient for sightseeing or in a better neighborhood or is the better hotel.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these hotels?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:48 PM

I haven't stayed at either, so cannot comment at all on the hotel itself. But as far as location, neither is ideally what I would want, but I'd probably stay at the Eiffel one, especially would recommend that to a newcomer. It's more convenient to the metro, although I'm not crazy about that location right next to the Seine.

The other one is in a more sedate area, so could be nice, I'm not sure what it would be like to stay around there. It's not too far from the Jacquemart Andre museum, which is a very nice area, but it's in-between two metro stops (Courcelles and St Philippe du Roule). I guess it's really only a couple blocks from either, and it's not too far from Parc Monceau which I think is nicer than Champ de Mars park. Maybe it would be okay, I just sort of feel like it's a long ways to things around there, like cafes and restaurants, etc. It probably is a better neighborhood, though, there are a lot of hawkers around the Eiffel Tower metro stops and souvenir stands, etc. But, what is a better neighborhood for a resident may not be for a first-time tourist.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Christina,

This is my second time to Paris and I can stay at either Hilton on Hilton points- i.e. free. So I am trying to stay at the better of the two. I rather like a more "sedate" area- we can always walk a few blocks to the metro or just walk. I prefer a nicer area to live in as will be there for 5-6 days.

What would be the best way to get from CDG to the Hilton Arc de Triomphe?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Best way .. do you mean most comfortable? Most convenient? Cheapest ? There are many choices (Metro, bus, taxi, shuttle, car (limo) service). What is best to you ? We take cabs or car services, but what is best to us may not be to you.

I agree with Christina's assessment of the two Hilton's...neither would be my first choice, but Free is Free
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:07 PM

It sounds like the Arc de Triomphe location would be better for you, then. The Bir Hakeim metro stop can even make me a little nervous sometimes at night, due to the people hanging around. There are probably plenty of places to eat and things around the other, I just haven't been around there that much, but it is very nice.

Lori's right on the question. What does better mean to you -- cheapest? I'd take a taxi myself to that location. If it really were within walking distance of the Air France bus stop at the arc, I would do that as it's a nice bus. But I think it's farther from that than you may think--so I don't think you are going to want to walk from that with your baggage. It's at least 6 blocks, if not more. there's no convenient RER/metro route, either, and then it's not right near a metro stop, as I said. You say we, so you are splitting the cost at least among two people -- I'd take a taxi, it may be about 45 euro.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:03 PM

It's a long story (lost luggage, missed pre-booked shuttle, not enough Euros with us for a cab)I noticed the AirFrance Buses pulling up across the street so we got on the one that took us to the Arche De Triomphe. It was quite nice and very conveinent I think I will use that mode of transport from now on. We took the metro from there since we had no luggage. There are cabs there if its too far to walk to your hotel or you have too much luggage for the metro. I think the cost was around $10 per person.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:26 PM

I agree about the Bir Hakeim métro stop, so would pick the Arc de Triomphe one, too, though neither would be my choice (though I'd never pass up a free hotel in Paris!).
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM

I seem to recall the Hilton near the Arc to be a newer property..anyone know?
The Air France coaches cost about 12-13Euro now - there are 2 lines, so be sure to take the one going to Porte Maillot and Charles de Gaulle-Etoile (Arc).
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM

I usually stay in the 5th or 6th but I also had a freebie and stayed at the Eiffel Hilton and loved it. There are a couple of great restaurants nearby and when I can recall their names I will post. Re: airport transport I took the Air France bus, then taxi into Paris a few months ago and it was so convenient, easy. I'm nost sure which stop is closest to the Hilton but I'm sure someone at Air France can advise you or you can check a map. Returning, I took
www.Bluvan.Fr
Paris Blue Airport Shuttle which picked me up from the hotel--definitely worth it for 2 people! Have a great trip!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We will stay at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe. It has a nice garden, lovely rooms etc. A little extra walking will not harm us in this beautiful city.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:57 AM

I have stayed at the Paris Hilton near the Eiffel Tower twice. If you can get a room with a view (sometimes, but not always, available on points) that would be great. I don't find this location the easiest to get to get around as it is a fair walk to the metro (I like right across the street!), but for free...no problem!

I have not stayed at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe but I did stop by to check out the location a year or so ago. It was not yet finished at the time. I found this location even more out of the way, but there was a nice big park nearby and some nice restaurants as well.

Which you stay at may depend on whether this is your first trip to Paris or not. For a first timer, I'd stay at the Paris Hilton and cross my fingers for a view. It is at least a more convenient location than the other.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:41 PM

How was your stay at the Paris Hilton Arc de triomphe? We are staying there next spring.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Any report on the Hilton Arc de Tromphe?

I still think it is too far out for a first-timer to enjoy walking the city, but perhaps the park and the fact that the hotel is new would be a decent trade off.

Anyone?
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
TTT
We are staying here in June (arc de triomphe) and would also like feedback!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:35 AM

I stayed at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe in September 2006 with my husband, who was on a business trip, so three of our four nights were free. I would personally NOT stay there if I was paying out of my own pocket - in fact we wished that we had changed hotels for the last night, which we did have to pay for.

The neighborhood is pretty dull - mostly offices and apartments, as far as I could tell. I can vouch for it being a rather inconvenient location. You have to walk a few blocks to the metro and then you aren't on a main line, so getting to any major attractions means transferring at least once. It took us 30-45 minutes to get anywhere.

I also was not thrilled with the service. I'm normally not too picky about such things, but given the pricetag, I expected better. We had several less-than-pleasant incidents with hotel staff. One day the cleaning staff did not come to make up our room until 4:30, and we were in the room at the time, getting ready to go out for the evening. We asked them to come back after 5:00 and they refused, as it was after they went off duty. I didn't mind not getting clean towels that day, it was just surprising for a 5-star hotel.

On the other hand, the concierge was very helpful in getting us restaurant reservations and changing our reservation when we ended up with a large group. Then again, I would expect any decent hotel to offer similar service.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:22 AM

Sometimes even if the hotel stay is free it's not worth staying there if the location is poor. I once stayed at a lovely Hilton hotel in London (against the advice of our wonderful Ben Haines) because the stay was free, and was ever so sorry.

Having gone by personally to check out the location of the Hilton Arc de Tromphe, I am also surprised at the name. I'll have to check out a map, but it did not seem to me to be close to the Arc de Tromphe at all. I was hoping to hear that other features offset the location.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM

It is about 1 km from the Arc.
The Hilton AdeT is at 57 rue de Courcelles, 8th arr.
It is:
200 meters from bus 84
225 meters from buses 22, 52, 43, 83, 93
360 meters from metro Courcells line 2
450 meters to metro Saint Philipe du Roul line 9
300 meters to enter Parc Monceau
320 meters from Musee Jacquemart-Andre

There are quite a few Consulat buildings around the area. The Tripadvisor reviewer 'edleo13' probably gives a balanced review of the hotel and location. It was quite a long post, at any rate.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks travelnut! We are staying two free nights and one paid night. It will save us about 700 dollars to stay at the Hilton and not have to pay for our two nights. 700 dollars will buy some nice dinners and entrance fees to sights. Of course, once changed into Euros...700 dollars is not all that much! I appreciate the distance information.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:40 AM

If it makes you feel even better, some of 'us' don't stay in the central arrondissements on purpose.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Stayed at the Arc de Triomphe on points. It was excellent. Location was excellent too. Nice bakery down the street to the right. Did the museum noted above as well as Nissim de Camondo- also nearby and a real jewel.

Had no problem getting around from there. Went up on the top of the Arc de Triomphe at sunset- WOW!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -