Hilton Amsterdam Package for Rembrandt-Caravaggio Exhibit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got swept up in the moment and have just decided to go to Amsterdam to see this exhibit. Have any of you Fordorites seen it and have any comments about length of the lines, time of day to visit, etc? I was so excited reading about it that I decided I had to go and was lucky enough to find a really good fare on KLM, so it's off I go. I know I can reserve tickets online so I'll do that after I get some feedback. Also, did anyone try the Hilton package deal mentioned on the website or have any experience with that hotel? I still don't have a place to stay and welcome some guidance.

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ttt
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:55 AM

If necessary you might use www.channels.nl to read hotel reviews and look at locations.

I'd honestly like to help with specific recommendations but I generally stay in parts of Amseterdam which are hated by the usual posters here.

The exhibit sounds exciting but I'd still include the Rijksmuseum while I was there.

Enjoy your trip...A-dam is always great fun on a whim.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:25 AM

Topping once more
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:09 AM

I think the Rijksmuseum is mostly closed for renovation.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:37 AM

My family saw this wonderful exhibit a few weeks ago. The Caravaggio-Rembrandt paitnings are displayed in the Van Gogh Museum. It was very crowded (lots of Brits and Irish) the day we were there...on a Sunday afternoon in late March. By all means, buy your tickets online so that you can bypass the long lines and go right in the door. If you are a fan of Caravaggio or Rembrandt, I highly recommend making the trip.

We stayed at the Sheraton Pulitzer Hotel, which is very close to the Anne Frank House, Western Church and Pancake Bakery...on the edge of Jordaan. We were happy with the hotel and its location, although we purchased our museum tickets separately.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:03 AM

To Padbrasher:

What is the e-mail address to buy Rembrandt-Caravaggio tickets?

Thanks.

Anthony
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Anthony,

Go to www.vangoghmuseum.nl. for the link for tickets to the Van Gogh museum and the Caravaggio exhibit. You can also add the Rijksmuseum to your pass, which also allows quick entry. Also, if you have a printer, you can print out your tickets and bypass the advance ticket booth.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I have won a bid for the Hilton Amsterdam on Priceline for $130 a night. You might consider this if you want to stay at this hotel and buy the tickets for the exhibit seperately.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Susana,
That is a great deal. The package offered on the website is 210E for a double with taxes, breadkfast and tickets to the exhibit included. When are you going?
Also, I know the Van Gogh museum is open late on Friday. Do you think that would be a good time to go?
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 05:36 PM

I'm not going until September. There are 5 hotels in the 5* catagory, city center-museum quarter, but it seems that the Hilton is the only one that gets winning bids, anywhere from $120-145...good luck. My total with PL fees came to $147...not euros...a good deal for Amsterdam.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM

padbrasher,
How long was your family at the exhibit? I know it would be different for everyone, but I have a looong layover in Amsterdam and would love to go. However, if it's so big that I couldn't reasonably view it in a couple of hours I'm afraid I will have to pass.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:33 AM

We spent no more than 60-75 minutes looking at the Caravaggio/Rembrandt exhibit. We also spent another 60-75 minutes or so upstairs looking at the Van Gogh paintings. I think you could leisurely spend 3 hours and cover the Van Gogh Museum, including the special exhibit or do the quickie version in 90 minutes. Either way, it sounds like you have enough time to see these magnificent paintings.

Go for it - you won't regret the experience.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Also, I recommend reading Jonathon Harr's book "The Lost Painting" about Caravaggio before you see the exhibit. It made me appreciate what a special treat it was to see so many Caravaggio paintings in one place.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I agree with the recommendation of Jonathan Harr's book. Not an "art history majors only" book.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:27 PM

padbrasher,
Thanks for the info and the book recommendation (thanks to you too, Jean).
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:33 PM

How long does this exhibit last? Did someone say that they would be going in September? We will be there in June and I know my daughter is interested in the Van Gogh museum anyway and we will be there on a Thursday-Friday. My limited experience with Caravaggio left me quite impressed. Thanks for the information.

Baldworth
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Never mind. According to the site the exhibit ends on June 18th. If you hear that it is going to run longer please post it on this site.

Baldworth
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 03:45 PM

I'm planning to see this on Easter Sunday. I just bought my ticket a few days ago and printed it out (it actually looks like a ticket).

The show itself doesn't seem very big. I researched it online and I believe there're fewer than 40 paintings. I'm guessing that an hour for the show alone should be enough for an overview.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Padbrasher and 111op,
please let me know about the crowds. I will be in Amsterdam for several days and have a choice as to when I visit the exhibit. I want to avoid crowds as much as possible which I was thinking that a Fri night might be best. When is the least likely time it will be crowded?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -