Hiking Mt. Rigi - route suggestions!

Jul 13th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Hiking Mt. Rigi - route suggestions!

I will be travelling to Switzerland with my mom in mid-August. One of our days is going to be spent at Mt. Rigi (from about 9 in the morning to 5 or 6pm. We will be starting our journey in Luzern, and I would like to take a boat to Vitznau.
Where do you recommend going after Vitznau? I would like to take the cogwheel train at some point (either on the way up or down). What is a good hiking route and a good itinerary for our Mt. Rigi day?
Thanks!
Jul 13th, 2012, 10:14 AM

I would take the train up or down and the aerial cable way from Weggis just to vary transport thrills (with Swiss Pass 100% valid on both I believe but not positive) - I hiked down from the Rigi summit to Arth-Goldau and got a quick train back to Lucerne from there - a sweet walk through cow pastures and bucolic scenes - an easy walk as well.

a lovely lovely walk!

You could go up and back down to the lake and take the boat to Fluelen at the south end of the fjord-like arm of Lake Lucerne and take the train back via Arth-Goldau to Lucerne from there.

You could also get off the boat on the other side of the lake at hike up to the famous Rutli Meadow, where the Swiss Confederation I believe was formed.

For loads of great info on lake Lucerne and trains and conveyances check out these great sites - www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.ricksteves.com and http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html.

Watch for the incessant playing of traditional Alp horns on the summit - the horns that so annoyed Mark Twain when he wrote about his ascent of Mt Rigi from the lake in the 1800s (in a Tramp Abroad I think but not sure).
Jul 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM

http://www.rigi.ch/en/navpage-HikeRIGI.html

Talks about the train and Rigi trails for hiking accessed from the rail line.
Jul 13th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Mid August this year I suppose? Then you should read my post in the thread below.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...me-allowed.cfm
Jul 14th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ, thank you so much again for all your advice and links to resources. Very very helpful! and kappa 1, that is good to know! Fortunately, we will be there from the 7th to the 13th, so we will miss the closure due to construction! Thank goodness!
Jul 15th, 2012, 07:38 AM

If you would like to visit Rigi-Kulm (warmly recommended) the time you are in Switzerland, there is no other way than to take the train from Lucerne to Arth-Goldau - see www.sbb.ch/en -, the cogwheel train up to Rigi-Kulm and visit the top (short walk). From there walk down to Rigi-Kaltbad and take the cable car down to Weggis and from there the boat to Lucerne.
Unfortunately the cogwheel train will not be operating from Vitznau to Rigi-Kulm as the tracks need to be renwed.
pore
Jul 16th, 2012, 07:42 AM

q - how long will the Vitznau to Rigi Kulm train be out of service? Indefinitely? Thanks in advance.
Jul 16th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much pore. That is the journey we will take!