Hiking in Bregaglia

Jul 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Hiking in Bregaglia

I have been doing some extensive research on the Bregaglia Valley for an upcoming trip to Switzerland. I've been to Switzerland millions of times but unfortunately have never spent much time in the eastern portion of the country.

I am thinking of doing a day trip from Lugano to the Soglio/Bondo area and am seeking some suggestions on hiking in the area. I have read of numerous places in that area and am more confused now than anything else.

Is it possible to go from Bondo-Soglio-Promontogno area to the Sciora Hut and back in one day? Or is that too ambitious? Any suggestions for hikes that would allow us to see waterfalls, chestnut forests, and a glimpse of the Piz Badile north face would be very much appreciated. A medium-difficulty hike of 4 - 6 hours is our goal.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Sean
Jul 7th, 2012, 01:47 AM

Please keep in mind that the drive (you'll have a car, right?) from Lugano to Bregaglia valley takes a while. 2 hours at least, I'd say. So that limits your time in the Bregaglia valley.

It is too ambitious to hike from Bondo to Sciora hut and back in one day. It is a strenuous hike, elevation difference is 1,300 m UP and again DOWN. Calculated time is 4 hours up and 3 hours down, total is 7 hours, not counted breaks for eating and photos etc.

Besides, the Sciora hut is half way up to P. Badile, but too close to have a real panoramic view. My suggestion is to hike on the opposite side of the valley - much more impressive IMO.

For a 5-6 hours hike: Park the car in Castasegna, take the bus to Vicosoprano. Cross the river, hike up to Durbegia where you reach the Panoramic Trail (Sentiero Panoramico) to Soglio. A stroll through Soglio is a *must* - fantastic views, especially in the evening (better light), of the Badile - Cengalo - Sciora peaks vis-a-vis. Hike down to Castasegna through the chestnut forest (you'll also see a waterfall). All in all that would take about 5-6 hours, I'd say.

You may want to have a look at my Soglio page on Virtualtourist.com also:
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4166c/a8843/
Jul 7th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Ingo,

Thank you so much for sharing your insight. I may very well end up following the itinerary you proposed. With, perhaps, some detours. The pictures on your virtual tourist page were amazing.

Yes, we have a car -- and I agree, the day will be long. But such is life. Must make the most of our time there.

One more very quick question, if I may. The bus you suggest from Castasegna to Vicosoprano is public transportation and runs on a schedule? Such as every 15 or 30 minutes, maybe?

Once again, many thanks.

Cheers,

Sean
Jul 8th, 2012, 01:09 AM

Yes, the bus is public transportation and runs on a schedule - but since it is a rural area it's not like every 15 or 30 minutes, it's every hour. With a little planning in advance this should work out, though. It's too bad there is a gap of two hours between the 9.28 am and 11.28 am bus. Travelling time is 20 minutes.

See www.sbb.ch for schedules. In Castasegna pick "Vecchia Dogana" for the stop, in Vicosoprano "Plazza".
Jul 8th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Very helpful, thanks!
Jul 10th, 2012, 08:57 AM

I have been researching a similar trip, and like you, have been to Switzerland many, many times. I have also been to the Bergell and Soglio several times. But this year, I wanted to go into that valley opposite Soglio, the Bondasca valley. From what I have found is that you can drive by car to Bondo and then further on a dirt road up to Laret where you park the car (there is a fee to pay to drive from Bondo to Laret; there seems to be a ticket machine at the exit of Bondo). The drive up that dirt road to Laret cuts the hiking trip about 1.5 hour short, which for me, is also convenient because I want to go to the Sciora hut and back the same day. Which would make it like 2.5 hours up and 1.5 hours back (Laret to Sciora hut and back). I will come from St. Moritz, that is about a 1 hour drive to Bondo. Looking very much forward to that hike!
Good luck to you!
Jul 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM

That's true with the dirt road. The cost is CHF 12, toll machine in Bondo. Totally forgot it!
Jul 12th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Eveline. Decisions, decisions... well, I'm sure the scenery will be beautiful regardless of the itinerary that we eventually choose. Maybe the Sentiero Panoramico would provide a better introduction to the region? But then again the Laret-Sciora is also tempting as it seems to be more remote.

I will have to weigh these options. Thanks again.