Has anyone hiked to Eagle's Nest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that you can drive to the base of Eagle's Nest and then take a bus to the top or a 2hr hike. I would think that the hike would have beautiful vistas of the area, but in most reviews I've read people have opted for the bus. My husband and I are fairly active and so we think the hike would be really fun.

Does the house offer tours or is it only independent tour guides? Is going by tour a must or are the exhibits well described?

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM

The Eagle's Nest is actually our American name for the "Kehlsteinhaus", the summit retreat house that was built for Hitler but only used by him on 3 occasions. The mountain itself is called the Kehlstein and is an easy drive from Berchtesgaden or Salzburg. When visiting here, you should pick a day that is very clear -that is, when you get see the mountain tops from the valley below. Halfway up the mountain is the "Parkplatz" or parking area to visit the summit. At this point, you may choose to take the bus or hike. The bus tours take about 20 minutes to reach the summit, they are narrated by a guide, and English speaking tours are available a few times per day.In my opinion, taking the English speaking tour is the best option. The trip up will show you vistas that are not seen from the top, and you will learn more from the guide. Also, you will ride the very famous elevator to the top. The house at the top is very sparse( this area was pretty sanitized after the war), only a few rooms and a restaurant/snack bar. The real attraction is the view and that's what most folks come for.
As for the hiking - I have hiked extensively in this area for many years. The Kehlsteinhaus is at an elevation of 1840 meters and the hike to the summit will be a good deal of work. While this elevation is not as bad as many, being jet lagged and in a strange environment may put you at some risk, as the last bits of this hike are more difficult due to the incline.If you are dead set to do this hike, wait until you are more acclimated to the area and have taken some other good hikes! Have a great time!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:29 AM

very helpful information, EmilyC-I think the Kehlstein would be a wonderful hiking area, because it is just so beautiful.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Emily - thanks for the good info. This would be around Day 8-11 on our trip. We're planning on going to Zugspitze after Munich. Elevation is definitely something I'm concerned about. I live in FL and my house is about 15 feet above sea level.

Can you hike up and take the bus down? Or take the bus up and hike down? I think I would rather hike up though, going downhill always seems more dangerous!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 09:18 AM

OK, I know that you can't be hiking in Munich - will you be hiking in the Zugspitz area?? I think that you are underestimating the difficulty of a 2 hour hike at this altitude and with the degree of elevation at this summit. Take the cable car up the Jenner and hike down that mountain to the half way point - much easier!!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:43 PM

If you are not used to mountain hiking and are worried about the altitude, you will find it easier to hike down from the Kehlsteinhaus than up, provided (a) your knees are in good shape,(2) you shoes with a decent sole-profile and (3) have a pair of decent trecking poles.

Actually, you have a couple of choices: (a) Start at the very top, or, (b) after you have taken the elevator back down to the Parkplatz, start there down to where you left your car(or the bus from the RR station dropped you off). Doing the lower part on foot rather than by bus has the advantage that you are not tied to a bus schedule. The wait at the Parkplatz for the trip down can be long on a busy day.

Emily-C's suggestion of going to the top of the Jenner on the gondola lift and either hike down all the way into the valley or just do the upper half to the midway station, or the lower half to the valley is excellent. You have nice views from the Jenner, albeit not quite as panoramic as from the Kehlsteinhaus. The lower part of the Jenner hike leads through maedows and woods. (PS: It's also a great mountain for skiing in the winter!)