Hiking choice Dolomites or TMB?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2018, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the good fortune of being able to choose a destination for a hiking trip this August.
I have narrowed it down to be between the Dolomites, the Mont Blanc Circuit and the Canadian Rockies.
My last trip was 12 days in Patagonia and I covered over 160 kms. I am hoping for a lot of hiking- and I think these three destinations will satisfy that requirement.

1-Scenery
2-Trails that are not "crowded" and small to medium lodging.
3-Lodging, hut-to-hut through hiking.

Any input from people who have tried and can compare the destinations?
Hopefully, I will get to all three eventually...so many places to go.
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 12:30 AM

As to scenery, there is really nothing like the Dolomiti ranges. The Rockies are awesome in their grandeur and wildlife, and Mont Blanc (if you get the infrequent cloudless experience in August) is staggering, but nothing really compares with the unique geology and spires of the Dolomiti.

As you know, some parts of the Mont Blanc circuit are quite demanding -- this descriptive article is worth having for your files https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...blanc-the-alps . Much of the Dolomiti, which has many simpler rambles plus ski lifts for couch potatoes and is less weather impacted, is extremely popular with visitors in August, although some of the most scenic areas in the Alto Adige and drifting northeast toward the Carnic Alps see far fewer tourists than the val Gardena and areas around Cortina d'Ampezzo. (The MB circuit is likely to have plenty of hiking groups in August, doing all or parts of it. This has some useful information too https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...july-or-august )

Last edited by kitbag; Apr 1st, 2018 at 12:36 AM.
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 02:38 AM

I know the TMB very well. It's not difficult at all, but rather crowded in High season.
But it seems that most hikers (especially from overseas) want hike on crowded trails only.
Otherwise I couldn't explain while thousands of kms of at least as beautiful trails in the Alps are more or less deserted (despite a completely working infrastructure: trains, buses, lifts, restaurants, huts, hotels).
It's up to you to make a choice between the Dolomites or areas where you find glaciers and high mountains.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input. I am now looking at The Walkers Haute Route as I understand this may be less crowded.
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 06:53 AM

No Swiss alpine trail is usually crowded, except TMB, Walkers Haute Route, Maennlichen - Kleine Scheidegg - Eigergletscher - Grindelwald, Wengen - Kleine Scheidegg, Schynige Platte - First - Grosse Scheidegg, Gruetschalp - Muerren - Sefinenfurgge - Griesalp - Hohtuerli - Kandersteg - Sunnbuehl - Gemmi Pass, Zermatt - Gornergrat, Hohtenn - Brigerbad, Fafleralp - Restialp, Riederalp - Fiescheralp, Rigi Scheidegg - Rigi Kulm, Airolo - Osco - Sobrio, St. Moritz - Fuorcla Surlej/Murtel - Val Roseg - Pontresina.
All that together is less than 1 per cent of all well signmarked panoramic trails.
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to seem daft. That is a list of all the crowded stages and trails? So avoid those because they are such a small percentage of what is available? Thank you for a clarification.