Reload this Page >

Highlands and Islands -- Opinions Saught from Sheila and others

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 09:04 AM
bo_jack

I very much appreciate your earlier feedback and suggestions. A week from today my wife and I will be arriving in Manchester and heading northwest to the Highlands and Hebrides. To "test" likelihood of room availability if we do not book ahead I have e-mailed several establishments asking about availability of rooms. Virtually all of the replies received so far have rooms available. I am taking this as a good indication that we will not likely be forced to sleep in the car due to unavailability of rooms. Questions: (1) Do you concur that room availability is likely to be good -- or do tourists in these regions tend to make reservations less than a week in advance? (2) We are planning definitely to see Lewis and Harris [I understand they are not your favorites, but we want to see for ourselves], then come back through Skye. However, we are considering "settling in" by taking an apartment for up to one week in an area good for day-tripping -- possibly near Fort William, Klye of Lochalsh, or Oban [judging from maps that these are reasonable locations]. Do you have any specific recommendations for a one week stay in this area? [Cost, unless it is extremely high, is not a major consideration.] <BR>Would appreciate any last-minute input that you can provide.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 09:15 AM
Sheila

Hah! So you knew I'd be here at Sunday tea-time did you? <BR> <BR>1. Accommodation should be no problem. we're past the height of the "season"- schools went back last Monday. <BR> <BR>2. I have friends who have a big mansion house/estate in Morvern in west Scotland which is divided and let out. Have a look at www.ardtornish.co.uk. I love it. It's quite remote, so not necessarily an ideal touring centre, but..it's 20 minutes on the ferry from Mull, from where you can also visit Iona and do boat trips to the Treshnish Islands and Staffa; it's an hour from Fort William (so long as you mesh with the Corrand Ferry timetable); less from the bottom of Glencoe, and about 2 hours from Oban. you can also do Oban by two ferry trips- onto Mull and off again. Don't trust what the booking information page says about availability. john fakes when he updates it and there's as likely to be a cancellation as a booking. <BR> <BR>Lots of lovely places to walk; and dive; and swim and picnic; and fish. <BR> <BR>Or you could have a look at www.finlaysonhughes.uk.com/holidays. They probably have the best selection of places to let in the patch you're looking at. Oban is a very good base- lots both north and south and west. Fort William sucks.It would be like having a holiday in industrial Pennsylvania. <BR> <BR>Please come back if I can help more

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 09:24 AM
bo_jack

I saw we were on line simultaneously -- so I waited to see your reply. Thanks very much for the speedy response. An enlightening comment with regard to Fort William. On a map from across the water, it looked good. I will check the web sites you provided. Thanks again.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 01:14 AM
frank

Don't be fooled by the map, neither Fort William nor Kyle are much good to hang around in, though they have lovely views.Near Kyle is Plockton, which is gorgeous.(2 miles to train station)Or stay on Skye: Cuillin hills hotel - Portree, Skeabost hotel - Skeabost.Skye is a big island, you could easily spend a week or more there. <BR>If using trains, Arisaig & Malliag are good (Arisaig is quiet).Oban is a good base, infinite accomodation, many daytrips by land & sea. <BR>In Lewis, don't miss Callinish & Dun Carloway, (there is a cheerful though unprofessional hotel near these monuments - the Carloway I think) also buy knitwear. <BR>In Harris, visit the beaches in the West (almost entirely populated by arists it seems), vist Scalpay, buy handspun wool. <BR>(local wool is hard, suitable for flak jackets,hand dyed with natural dyes, mosses etc.Harris tweed is made chiefly in Harris & Lewis)Scarista house (west coast of Harris) is known for it's good food, expensive. <BR>Season has been poor due to high pound, plenty of room. <BR>If settling, look for a cottage/house to rent, so much more pleasant than a hotel.Prices vary greatly for the same standard.The outer Islands (Harris, Lewis) tend to be windy, bring hats.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 09:32 AM
Elija Hunt Rhodes

Sheila, of course they knew you would be online - you seem to have nothing better to do with your life which is, if I may say, pretty sad. <BR> <BR>Perhaps we could have a collection and buy you a life.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 10:03 AM
Sheila

Tell you what, Elija; just have a collection and buy yourself some manners

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 10:11 AM
seamus

I really don't get that comment from Elija. What is Sheila supposed to do? Not answer when the poster asks directly for her help? What we don't need, Elija, is your participation on this forum. Sheila is a wealth of information on Scotland, and if I ever visit there, I'll be sure to ask her for her help.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 12:32 PM
amik

Elija <BR>Get lost. YOU must be the one in need to get a life! <BR>If you are in such a need to spit and curse, then go get some help, don't contaminate THIS site, or childishly try to offend it's participants! <BR>I just got back from Scotland. Sheila was a TREMENDOUS help, she spent lots of time helping to plan our trip! Her priorities in life is only for her to judge. If helping others seems to you a waste of time Ð keep it to yourself, what business is it of yours? <BR> <BR>...Lets just keep on and ignore this guy. <BR> <BR>Amik.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 01:39 PM
Elija Hunt Rhodes

Amik <BR> <BR>That's exactly my point - Sheila may well be knowledgeable on Scotland (or, at least her version of Scotland), I wont dispute that but Sheila, to make the point that someone MUST have known you were online is a crock. You must have Fodors up on your computer all the time and be constantly online during waking hours, hoping someone posts about Scotland so you can scuttle off to look something up or phone a pal about some other trifling irrelevance. <BR> <BR>God if you think about it long enough it gives you The Fear, imagine the days dragging in, praying a posting you have answered has been moved back to the top, the tingle of excitement when a new name comes into your inbox, ignoring the intray or the husband in favout of some text on a computer. Now that is sad.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 03:48 PM
amik

Elija Hunt Rhodes, <BR>You are in the wrong site, dear. <BR>Goodby. <BR>Amik.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 06:14 PM
Scottie

There's an inn on the road to Kyle with an absolutely stunning view of Eileen Donan castle. The castle is on the water and lit up by floodlights at night, and that was our view as we looked out the window. Unforgettable! The restaurant was really good, too. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately I can't remember the name, but there's only one road to Kyle, and it's just before the town limits. We arrived about 7 p.m. without a reservation and found 2 rooms available. Enjoy!