Highland Games worth a detour ?

Jun 4th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Highland Games worth a detour ?

Our trip for August is coming together. We are very excited to see the Tatoo - castles - history, ruins,, etc. And if possible take in the Highland Games.

If we do go to the Highland Games it will leave us with staying in Oban one night vs. two. The game we are considering is in Crieff and we only have 7 nights.

So... all things considered. If the Highland games are a must see - such as the Tatoo than we will revise our plan.

Please weigh in.

As always - thanks for your help.
Jun 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Do you know what it's all about? Have you ever seen it on TV?

I personally would go to see them. It depends on if it's your kind of thing...
Jun 4th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Yes, I think you should go. They are idiosyncratic and very Scottish; and, oddly, not just for tourists.

The Chieftain of the Games this year is Denis Lawson (Local Hero?). I checked because it has been Ewan McGregor who is Lawson's nephew. The Argyllshire Games in in the 24th and Helmsdale on the 19th if that helps, at all.
Jun 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM

It might depend on where you live. In my part of Canada, there are Highland Games that are far superior to many that you will find in Scotland. The same is true for some parts of the States. In my opinion, going to the Crieff Games would be a waste of your precious time. There are many more things to see in Scotland that are peculiar to the country and 7 nights is not enough to do justice to your visit
Jun 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I have the map out and it looks as though the Isle of Bute games are on the 19th - and not too far from Ayrshire where we were thinking of heading after Edinburgh. However - we were considering reversing our order and driving from Edinburgh to Crieff.

Thoughts ?

Jun 4th, 2006, 04:54 PM

almcd's comment is pretty relevant. If you are in/near the Carolinas, Atlanta, many parts of California, a lot of places in Canada, etc. etc., you will see highland games VERY similar to those in Scotland. Lots of Scots come over every year to compete at the various games. Most of the same events as at a games in Scotland. And pipe bands from Scotland, New Zealand, Canada and all over the US travel to the larger US games

For instance the Caledonian Club of SF holds the largest games (actually in Pleasanton) outside of Braemar.

I'm not trying to talk you out of squeezing in a highland games - but you are on a pretty tight schedule and won't be able to see everything. So you just need to priortize - and decide how important it is to you. Maybe leave it this time and go to a games back home. (I'm pretty sure you'll decide to return to Scotland - and for a longer trip next time - and can manage some games then)