Search

Herend china

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Elsa

Herend china

Has anyone bought Herend china in Hungary? <BR><BR>Is it a lot less expensive than in the US? <BR><BR>Do you know where in Hungary it is produced?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Daniel

Herend is a few miles northwest of Veszprem, not far from Lake Balaton.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Bob

We bought a plate in 2000 and my wife believes the price was outstanding compared to US. We also found the crystal prices in Hungary and Bratislavia to be very good. Heavy to carry home, but a bargain is a bargain.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Rod

My impression has been that there is no real bargain vs. US prices. A newspaper reported that the company wanted to maintain a certain price level generally. They could sell more at lower prices, but at no real net profit gain. So ... no need for any discounting. There may be a saving relative to Hungarian Afa (roughly, VAT), but otherwise not likely. Others may have different or more current experience. Certainly, you can check current prices at your local store and on the company's web site.<BR><BR>That said, there are other producers of fine china and decorative pieces in Hungary, and some of them are real bargains there. Also, as Bob noted, crystal can be a bargain (ditto in Czech Republic, but be careful anywhere). <BR><BR>Also, Herend Country Pottery is not common here (US), is quite nice, and a relative bargain.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 04:14 AM
anne

I can only speak for England sorry. Herend china is roughly half the price in Hungary as it is in UK. The company are keeping prices high overseas to maintain the exclusive name. Also if you spend over a certain amout - sorry can't remember how much - the you can reclaim the Afa (vat)at the airport. The shop at Herend is fabulous. If you have time take the guided tour around the factory - its given in English, German and French. If you have to wait I would recommend both the restaurant and the museum.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:36 AM
sue

Hi,<BR><BR>I bought a small beautiful Herend box. I was not sure if I was getting a bargin, but when I got back to the States I found that I paid about half in Hungary as compared to here. The china is beautiful.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Jan

Hi,<BR>When we lived in Budapest, Herend China and Village Pottery were a good deal. Two years ago, you could buy the china animals at markets for about $70.00. The same figures were retailing in the States for $300.00. The village Pottery is about 20% of the price paid in the States. Apparently, Herend gives its workers china as bonuses. This particularly applies to the animals. The workers then sell at the markets ie Ecseri (Sp?). This was two years ago so I am not sure it applies.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Jan