Reload this Page >

Hepatitis A shots?

Search

Hepatitis A shots?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 01:33 PM
xxxxxx

Hepatitis A shots?

What does everyone think about getting the Hep A vaccine for Western Turkey/Greece? I'm debating. Is it necessary? Thanks for your thoughts!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:06 PM
mbb

I live in Colorado and both my doctor and my children's pediatrician recommended we be be vacinated to live here. Believe me, I have seen more people than I care to exiting restrooms without washing their hands and to make matters worse food handlers are not required to wear gloves. If you live in the U.S. its easy and then you are protected at home and abroad.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:43 PM
xxx

When you go to a barbershop, they will generally recommend a haircut. Go visit a tailor, he'll recommend a new suit. Go to a restaurant, they'll say "come in, have dinner". <BR>

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Mary Kay

Before our October 1999 trip to the Mediterranean, my husband and I had the Hep A vaccine. It is good for a lifetime. I did not get it at my doctor's recommendation, but from reading about the potential for the disease, and from the recommendation of a friend who is in the public health field in the U.S. I say, what can it hurt, except the pocketbook. Our insurance covered it.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 03:01 PM
KT

Maybe you've already seen this, but the Centers for Disease Control has a lot of information about the disease and the vaccine: <BR> <BR>http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...is/a/index.htm <BR> <BR>There are some considerations, not the least of which is that you need to get the first dose of the vaccine sufficiently in advance of your trip to acquire immunity, and then you need a second dose within a specific time period. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 03:06 PM
tom

The "risk map" for Hepatitus at <BR>http://www.cdc.gov/travel/hepa.htm rates Greece & Turkey as "moderate" .. western Europe & USA were ranked "low". <BR> <BR>Prior to my Greece trip in August 2000, I got Hep-A vaccines for both my teenage son and me. note, Hep-A requires two shots, 6 months apart, the first shot must be 4-6 weeks BEFORE your trip. <BR> <BR>For good measure we both got Hep-B shots at the same time (a 3 shot series). <BR> <BR>Colleges in the US are starting to recommend Hepatitus-B vaccines for incoming freshman, so my son would have needed that anyway.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 03:29 PM
medic

since one can become exposed to the hepatitis A virus anyehere-even in the us it certainly will not hurt to be vaccinated. this is especially true if one eats raw shellfish or those that are not fully cooked. since this disease can become debilitating why not get the protection and further reduce the risk of becomming ill.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 07:57 AM
sll

Thanks everyone. I think I'll get the immunization!