Helsinki to Savonlinna: Car or Train?

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:31 AM
kfg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helsinki to Savonlinna: Car or Train?

My husband and I will be traveling from Helsinki to Savonlinna for 3 nights in July for the opera festival. We will then return to Helsinki.

We are trying to decide whether to rent a car or take the train. If we need a car to see other things in Savonlinna, we will drive. If not, we may take the train.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM

If you plan to drive the fastest road you could just as well take the train. But if you have time to choose more scenic smaller roads, then drive. Helsinki-Lahti-Heinola - turn right to road 4163 to Mäntyharju – turn left to 420 to Ristiina. From there choose 4323, it takes you towards Puumala, there are a couple of crossings where ferries act as extensions of the road and cars are driven to ferry. From Puumala to Sulkava, and from there to Savonlinna.here is info about the Saimaa area where Savonllinna is: http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/ne...ntNWSAID=25715
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
kfg
Original Poster

Dear Elina,

Thanks so much for your prompt answer. The drive you suggest sounds lovely and very scenic. Hopefully, we can take the time to do it.

Thanks again.