Helsinki-Stockholm-Copehagen or Helsinki-St. Petersburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Helsinki on a business trip during mid Feb. and then I have around 31/2 days of free time before catching a plane back to South America.

Can anyone recommend what would be a better use of my time (1) traveling from Helsinki-Stockholm-Copenhagen or (2) traveling to Helsinki-St. Petersburg-Helsinki; I think I will take the train?? I will be flying out of Amsterdam and already have my ticket but am willing to forfeit this if Option 1 is recommended .

Winter is probably not the best time to be hanging out in the Baltic area but is one of these two options worst than the other during the end of Feb.?

Also, I assume with Option 1 that I can get by with English where as with Option 2 this may difficult.
Lastly, any great difference in cost from one to the other, assuming taking trains and staying in hotels ?
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 11:20 AM

St. Petersburg is now very easy to access from Helsinki by the new fast train Allegro. It only takes 3.5 hrs. Even though February might seem not the best time to visit St. Petersburg, it's not really so. First of all, it is much better to see the museums in the winter - there are no tourist crowds and tickets are easy to buy. Secondly, hotel accommodation is much cheaper than in the summer, both at tourist class and exclusive hotels. Besides, St. Petersburg looks very beautiful with all the snow and ice-covered rivers.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 01:40 PM

If you can get a Russian visa, a trip to St Peterburg would be wonderful in the winter. It is especially stunning in the winter when the sun shines, I would not be overly concerned about language, a lot of people visit all the time without a word of Russian.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 01:50 AM

How about Helsinki-Tallinn-Riga?
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 04:04 AM

This is such a no-brainer I am even baffled why you need to ask...:-? Of course you go to the place less likely to get back to....if you are already at Helsinki, get a VISA and get to St. Petersburg. The architecture is breathtaking and the museums (The Hermitage!) are tops in the world.

Stop the dilly-dally and submit yout papers for the VISA-- I wonder if you still have enough time, line up a hotel first, you need your lodging address for the VISA papeprwork.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 04:48 AM

To make your life easier and avoid any Visa issues take a new ferry from Helsinki to St.Petersburg. Arriving by ferry you can stay in Russia for 72 hours visa-free. Ferry service is provided by the Peter Line company.