Helsinki airport to train station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Lapland cross country ski trip isn't totally dead yet....particularly now that about 40cm is reported at Yllas. My problem now is that a flight I might book (pretty good airfare to Helsinki from SF)gets me into the Helsinki airport at 5pm. The evening train to Lapland (Kolari) leaves at 20:18....I am wondering if I could comfortably make this train. On a related note I could by a 3 day (in one month Finnrail pass) for 143....to that I would add 2 sleeping car fares (up and back) and come out with a payment of $199 for the trip up and back from Helsinki. I think it is cheaper than buying a ticket. Of course is it still a 12 hour train ride. At any rate my main question is whether I could make the train from the airport.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 05:07 PM

Eastie: You will have no problem in taking the FinnAir bus from the airport to the central station in Helsinki. It runs at least every 20-30 minutes and is very reasonable. I took the bus from the train station to the airport when I was in Helsinki this summer. You can even check for more details by doing a search for Helsinki airport transportation. Happy travels!
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.....good to know that the transportation exists. Do you think I will get my baggage in time, clear passport control and still make the train. I would hate to miss it and wait a whole day!
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 04:56 PM

If you're worried about time, perhaps a night in Helsinki would be worth the headache of not making that train. The bus from the airport to the train station is about 30-35 minutes, but who knows how much time you'll have to wait for the bus after going through customs after waiting for your luggage. Where are you flying from? Can your research and see if the flights have been arriving on time? Winter weather can make scheduling a bit crazy. Good luck!
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Actually If I can't make the train the trip doesn't become worth the cost and effort. I would cut my skiing time too short. I am thinking of just staying here in North America and visiting one of the many cross country ski centers. However, if I do go to Finland and take the train...do you know where would store the skis on a sleeper train?
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 01:15 AM

They have a storage van for equipment in the trains. They even have whole vans that just transport people´s cars. But like I said before, if you are concerned about skiing time January is not the best possible month in Lapland. Sun is still below the horizon and outside some "daylight" hours with purple/blue haze you would be restricted to electrically lit tracks.