Helsinki airport connection

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is a 30-minute connection at this airport feasible? Same airline, but it seems pretty iffy.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:17 PM

It is doable, the Helsinki-Vantaa airport is really user-friendly. You won't go through security so basically you just need to find the boarding desk in time. There are two terminals, but since your flights are with the same airline they should land and depart at the same terminal.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM

We have used Helsinki-Vantaa a number of times flying from Hong Kong, Tokyo and Shanghai on Finnair and then going onto a European port with Finnair - and have had to go through security. (Indeed on my last visit in April I was given a very thorough pat down at this airport and thought about this the other day when I read of the TSA issues.)
This may only apply if coming from outside Europe on a long haul flight.
It is a very user friendly airport - but can involve quite a bit of walking and there is no margin for a flight arriving late in your plans.
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 10:55 AM

Gary,
If it is a domestic connection and the airline (Finnair?) is selling it, then it probably works. I've flown in/out HEL many times, but never connected. It can be a long walk and through a relatively narrow hall between shops that create bottlenecks, but if you are staying Terminal 1 or 2, then it should be doable if you are fit and sit near the front of the plane.
Terminal 1 and 2 are connected with an interior walkway, I think, but it is a much longer walk.
I sometimes check the airport arrival/departure gates for several days on flights like that to see where they typically arrive/depart. Of course, that is no guarantee, but may reveal a pattern of Terminal 1 or 2.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. At this point, it's still not something I'm seriously considering doing, but I wanted to know if it's even advisable.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Do let us know how your Nobel trip goes.

I have given a welcoming speech to a conference reception with the Lord Mayor in the City Hall and felt quite the dignitary there. (Although I only found out when I arrived that I was THE welcoming speech, not just one of several saying "glad you could make it", and was ushered up the stairs and into the hall to meet the Lord Mayor and get instructions before the masses were allowed in and hit the booze.)
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Gary,
I heard from a friend in Finland today.
The Finnair cabin crew strike is continuing.
She is concerned that it will affect ground services such as baggage handling too on other airlines, so is warning me to stuff as much as I can into my 17 lb carryon.