help with where to go?

Search

help with where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with where to go?

Hi I'm looking for information on a trip that i am taking with my sister and brother to europe at the end of October.
It first started out with starting out at Bologna and then going to Venice then to crotia and the to Greece and then to Rome to fly home. But things got changed and now the door is wide open.
My sister wants to go to vienna and prague and germany leaving from bologna etc...
Now my brother would like to go to Austria and then Prague perhaps germany paris switerland and back to bologna in 9 days.

As you can see we need help!!
Please let us know what you all think!!
Thanks!!
Polar1212
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 10:47 PM

You have 9 days and your sister wants to see 2 cities and a country. Your brother wants to see 2 cities and 3 countries. And you're asking if this is reasonable? Even if you never got off the trains or out of a car you'd only have time to wave at the sights. You also wouldn't have time to eat or sleep.

You don't say if your transportation is planes, trains, or car but you really only have 7 days plus 2 days travel time to and from Bologna.

I suggest Prague and Vienna for 3.5 days each.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 12:41 AM

It would help to know interests/why you have all chosen the cities listed. And I'm unclear on where you're starting from, ie where are you flying into? Or is that not yet set? And is that 9 days of actual travel in Europe, not to/from Europe as well?

As Prague and Germany (you don't say where)both feature on the lists of all travelling, perhaps Prague and Berlin or Munich (not both, just one in Germany) will suit. Or, as <i>adrienne</i> suggested, Prague and Vienna. Flights and trains will do you fine if you aren't renting a car, but to get decent flight prices between cities, you'll have to book now, and make some fast decisions on destintations.

You don't say what YOU'D like to see, other than Bologna, and it seems you're doing the organising! If it's causing issues, write the names of each city listed (for those who wrote a whole country, they must pick one city in that country), place in a hat and draw them out. That way, you'll either love what fate has drawn out for you as cities to visit...or you'll all look at each other and hate it and come to a consensus on another city instead Either way, you can only fit in a maximum of two other cities and Bologna (assuming that's the immovable destination), so don't try to squeeze in more.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 02:19 AM

October starts the cold and frontal rain in the north

Plenty to do in Italy just stay there

hoteldelfino.com otel.com cheap wonderful in the south

venice-tourism.com is great www.hotelpausania.it for me

recently 59 euro otel.com add a little lake country

sirmione.com bellagio.info stressa.org some Rome

You will have plenty to do... add some Croatia if

you get bored or Greece lots prettier warmer than the north.

eurocheapo.com/venice great tips for all your areas.

Regional trains are fun and cheap just hop on... seat61.com

Happy Travels!
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 03:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
If it's Tuesday, you could add Belgium.

Seriously, too many places, too little time.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 04:32 AM

As you know and as everyone has said, you simply have too many places. If you really want to see Bologna, fly into Bologna, travel to Venice and then to Rome to fly home. If you'd rather visit somewhere else, fly into Vienna and home from Prague. You can't do more than 2-3 places in 9 days and expect to see anything at all but train stations and airports.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your feedback!
I will give you a little more background. I am not organizing the trip that is why I'm asking. My brother has a NATO conference in Bologna and my sister and I are flying in to meet him. He has asked us to go to Europe with him because he has cancer and this is "the trip" if you know what i mean. The trip started with my brother stated that he had gone to Croatia on a cruise and it was one of the most beautiful countries he has ever seen, and so he wanted to share that with us, by starting in Bologna going to Venice then a ferry over to Croatia then down to Greece and then a ferry back to Italy and a train to Rome and fly out from there.
However when we looked into Croatia more it seemed pretty unsafe to drive there. And then Greece started having it's strikes and it did not look like a safe area to visit as well.
So my sister (who has never been to Europe) started to plan things and then it just went out of control! My brother who has been to Europe has gotten out of control as well as he just said he wanted to take us to a castle just outside of Paris that Him and I had been to a number of years ago to show my sister.
I understand this is way too much to do! and I've told them that.
We are flying into Bologna Oct 20 (My sister and I leave on Oct 19) and we leave from Bologna on Oct. 30. So we will have 9 actual days in Europe. What I am wondering is that is it worth going al the way to Prague? Our cousin was living in Vienna and so we thought we would visit her, however, she is back in the states. We also have a nephew who is in Germany, by Stuttgart and and idea was to maybe visit him. That is why we are all over the European map. So you can see why we need advise and HELP! Thank you!! for all the input!
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 06:03 AM

No, it is not worth going to Prague, and it's probably silly to consider Stuttgart just because you happen to have a relative who lives on the same continent.

Stay in Italy. Your trip is too short to go trotting all over Europe.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 08:13 AM

It would only make sense to go to Prague if you all fly there. It makes no sense to fly to Bologna and then go to Prague (or Vienna). It's 15 to 16 hours on a train to Prague; 9 to 10 hours to get to Vienna. That means you would need to arrive in Bologna and immediately get on another plane to Prague.

If you're planning on going to Vienna stay in Italy as StCirq says above.

You may have 9 days in Europe but you don't have 9 sightseeing days. You only have 7 days because 2 days will be spent traveling from place to place if you keep any of your original plans.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 08:29 AM

You can compromise a little and still have a good trip.

Agree to Croatia since that seems to be how this trip idea started, but just say no to the rest.

Spend 1/2 your time in Venice and 1/2 in Croatia. Allow time to ferry between the two and get your ferry tickets in advance.