Help with Weekend Trip to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying from London to florence for a quick weekend getaway. I have a couple of questions for all the Italian experts out there and I am hoping you can help me!

We are flying into Pisa getting in at 9:30 PM. We want to take a train from Pisa to Florence - is it true you can pick up the train right at the airport? Also, since we won't be getting into Florence until VERY late, how late do the restaurants stay open? Should I make a reservation for 11:00 pm somewhere?

We'll spend all day Saturday exploring Florence - we've already started making reservations at the different museums so we don't have to wait in too long of lines. On Sunday though, we wanted to finish exploring Florence in the morning, then take the train back to Pisa to see the tower. Is it a different stop from the airport that I need to get off at (and store my luggage)? Also, would there be anyplace around there to get an early dinner before we get on our flight home (our flight is not until 10:30).

Thanks in advance for your help. If there is anything else I should try to see while I am there I am definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 12:08 PM

Hello egordon, haven't used the train in Pisa so can't answer that question.

But regarding getting into a Florence hotel around 11:00pm I would caution you to make sure that the hotel has a 24/7 desk clerk vs the hotels that sometimes only have desk clerks until 10:00pm for example.

When I am getting into a hotel very late at night I reserve the hotel with my credit card (well I always do that actually). That way the room is yours. I always tell them about what time I will be arriving so that don't assume I am not showing up.

Am sure someone else here will be able to answer our Pisa train question.

Have a wonderful visit in Florence.

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LoveItaly - didn't think about checking that out with the hotel. I'll send them an email in the morning.

Anyone else able to help me out with the Train/Pisa questions?

Thank you!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:17 PM

the pisa airport train station is different from the train station for the tower. I'm not sure, but you probably have to change trains at the tower stop (going and coming)
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:03 PM
vnh

The train station for the airport is attached to the airport. You just walk outside and see it. It's a small airport anyway, but even it is wasn't, you can't miss it!
For the tower you should go to Pisa Centrale and either walk or take a bus. I did exactly the same as you are going to do and decided to go to the tower on the way back to the airport, which would have worked wonderfully well if i hadn't taken the wrong train in Florence without realising until I was in Arezzo! - but I don't want to scare you because I'm just a bit dim!
It's a few years since I was there so I'm sure others will have more up-to-date information regarding restaurants!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:26 AM
ira

Hi eg,

I think that the easiest way for you would be to get off the train at Pisa Centrale, leave your luggage at the station, visit the tower, return to train station and go on to the airport.

"On the far right side of the first platform (right side with your face towards the station building) you find the left luggage department." - 3E.

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Perfect - thanks so much for the information! And I'll make sure I doublecheck which train I get onto. Like I said, our flight is at 10:30 so hopefully it gives us enough time to have dinner and to cover any mistakes getting lost.

Quick question - are any restaurants open Sunday night for Dinner in Pisa?
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Hi egordon,

I read your Pisa - Florance thread and thought that your recent visit might provide some insight for my upcoming trip.
I'm flying into Pisa and am meeting a friend who is training in from Florance. Our goal is to meet at the Pisa train station and then pick up a train to La Spezia - is the airport train station the "main" Pisa station or is there a central Pisa station where a Florance train would goes to? I'm just trying to figure out what is the "main" Pisa train station so that we aren't waiting at different stations.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Florance and Pisa.

Regards,
tuscan1sun
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:30 PM
ira

Hi 1sun,

>is the airport train station the "main" Pisa station or is there a central Pisa station where a Florance train would goes to?<

All of the trains from the airport stop at Pisa Centrale, which is where you friend will arrive from Florence.