Search

Help With Tuscany Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With Tuscany Itinerary

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a little help on a Tuscany itinerary the last week in October.

We are flying into Pisa and heading straight to Cinque Terre for 2 nights. On the 3rd day we were going to take the train Pisa and pick up a rental car and head to Lucca. We will be staying 4 nights in Tuscany before heading to Florence for the last 2 nights of our trip (we have been there before- so just need a day).

In Tuscany after our 1st stop of Lucca, we’d like to visit San Gimignano and Voltera, Siena, Montepulciano, Val Dorcia, and Pienza. (open to suggestions)

I can decide where would be a good place for home base. My thoughts are near Siena for 4 nights- or 2 nights near San Gimignano and then 2 nights in the south (possibly Pienza). I am traveling with my parents who are in their early 70s and am trying to decide if it would be easier to have one base with more driving- or does it make more sense to do 2 nights in 2 different places. I am open to ideas as to where we should have our base(s) as well! We are open to staying in the towns or in places outside of the towns also.

Thank you!
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 12:00 PM

You can visit San Gimignano & Volterra on the way to a destination south of Siena, & then visit Siena & Pienza/Montepulciano & scenic Tuscanay from that one location.

If you think your parents would get tired of climbing hills all the time, consider staying in Buonconvento. If you think they would be ok with stairs & prefer high-up views, stay in Montalcino.

Staying on a farm is fun if you prefer an apartment & home-cooked meals.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 12:39 PM

Those are mainly regional trains Pisa Airport (people mover to Pisa Centrale - main train station) and to Lucca - no need to pre-book - no reservations even possible -just buy ticket at station. There are a few IC trains I think and those require reservations before boarding. www.seat61.com has loads on Italian train ticketing.

Easy to drive to Leaning Tower when leaving Lucca if that is on your bucket list.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 04:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just for clarity, the Val d'Orcia is a valley in which Pienza and Montepulciano are located. When you visit those two towns, you are visiting the Val d'Orcia. Everyone has their favorite in this area. FWIW, mine is Montepulciano.

I would tend to agree with the suggestion of stopping at Volterra and SanG on the way from Lucca to your Tuscany base. However, Lucca to somewhere in the Val d'Orcia would be at least 4.5 hours of driving not counting lunch or any other stops. I hope you can get an early start to the day.

FYI, daylight savings time will end on Oct. 28th. Sunset is at 6:11p on the 28th and 5:10p on the 29th.

Wherever you decide to stay, I suggest you drive to Florence through Chianti on the Via Chiantigiana (SR222) and stop at one or two towns along the way.
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback! AS we are leaving Cinque terre for PIsa to pick up the car and then go to lucca- I dont think we'd go to SanG and Volterra on the way- maybe stay in that area for one night to visit those sights- and then stay somewhere near Siena or south for 2 nights, visiting the Chianti region on the way back to Florence...
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 10:37 PM

no, the suggestion is to pick up the car in Pisa, go to Lucca & after Lucca, on your way to the Siena area, make a visit to San Gimignano & Volterra.
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

@massimop- is this not too much for one day?
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 06:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Too much? That's for you to decide based on the way you like to travel, how early you get going, how much time you'd spend in Volterra and SanG, whether you like a more leisurely lunch, where your final destination is, etc.

Have you researched driving times (and added a few minutes to find parking)? Lucca to Volterra (via SR439) is almost 2 hours. Volterra to SanG is about an hour. SanG to Siena another hour. Siena to ???
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 08:31 AM

you would definitely need to start out from Lucca right after breakfast because in late October it gets dark earlier & sometimes it is not easy to find a hotel after dark. If your family would be more relaxed & doesn't mind to switch hotels, then it is a fine plan to stay at San Gimignano or Volterra for one night.